Sign in to follow this  
Harnu

Firing onto a laser dot with camcreate

I want to camcreate using the radio missles that will fire onto where I am pointing my laser.

I want to simulate an off-shore missile firing, then have it come and and hit the Laser's dot. I was thinking of using Mavericks as Cruise Missiles.

There's a few ways I think I can go about this, but what is the easiest, and does anyone know how.

1-Pointing the laser, triggering the radio, then the explosive will detonate right on the laser. Via a time delay, noting is flying in from offshore.

2-Somehow getting the Maverick to lock onto the Laser target and be created offshore to fly in and hit the laser.

3-Getting the Maverick to fly in, unguided right onto where the initial place of the dot.

I don't know how to get started on this, anyone's help is appreciated.

It's shame that LaserTarget doesn't work with nearestObject command.  confused.gif

It shoud be easy to do it with it.

Is there a name of the laser's dot? And is there a way to get a camcreated missle to lock onto it?

The problem is thats for creating a bomb right onto it.

I need to get a missile, to camcreate offshore, then fly in onto the laser.

you could use a missile as an empty object and let it fly to your destination with setvelocity and create a LGB or whatever if it reaches final spot.

the problem i see is to read out the laser mark. I dont know about that.

Several options here, but I can see that you want to have the missile flying in on a nice trajectory and hitting the laser spot.

I tend to use Dinger's method for capturing the laser spot - create a map-sized trigger, activation anyone and repeatedly, pop all the objects listed into an array - and scan the array for the "lasertarget". Now you can get its position.

As for doing the missile part. Well, this is pretty simple. I would personally use a looped setVelocity. You've got the start position (vector), you've got the end position (vector). If you just subtract the vectors, you've got the velocity vector you need.

I've been playing around with a similar thing to simulate a mini Hellfire-type missile launched in loft mode. One setVelocity gets the thing flying ballistically towards the general target area. Then, when it "sees" the laser spot, it rockets down onto the spot's location (using a looped setVelocity and a kind of PID control loop).

There are many other options of course.

Prospero

Edit: Speaking of which, one of the things I've been meaning to try is to add a kinda miniature laser designator onto a personal weapon (an M16, for example). Think of it fitting where an M203 grenade launcher goes - under the barrel. It would have limited range (power), and the idea would be that you could use it as a secondary ammo type/mode for the personal weapon. I haven't really had a go at this - and I don't have much experience of making weapon add-ons. Anyone know if it's possible? It's not too far away from what's going on in Real-Lifeâ„¢ weapons development.

Sounds promising prospero. CAn you send me the scripts and a sample mission on how you did it. I'm not a scripter and really have only a small idea of what you just said.

If I can't get this working, I'll try something else.

Instead of laser targeting it, all you do is locate it. You send a message the the boat off shore and the missile will camcreate from a pre determined location. It's just a rough idea, and it might get complicated.