Sign in to follow this  
Ex3B

Modding existing Arma 3 assets

So I just downloading Arma3 tools and BI tools and I'd like to give modding a try -> nothing too ambitious just relatively small changes to existing assets. No new models or re-texturing.

Basically I'd like to expand CSAT "Naval" air power, for use with the LHD from the Atlas LHD plus standalone mod, and the USS freedom (one can just "paper over" the flag in the map editor like so:  )

Spoiler

XgQmBm2.jpg

My motivation comes from trying to make missions with NATO and CSAT forces based on ships on opposite sides of an island, and the use of the Aegis mod which ports Arma 2 F-35s (among other things) into the game.

Spoiler

MTx3tJ0.jpg

The problem is that if I use LHDs, airpower is limited to VTOL aircraft and the F-35 >> Y-32 Xian

If I use the Freedom, CSAT has no aircraft that can land on the carrier. In either scenario, the NATO side's jets should easily win air superiority, and the whole thing would be too one sided in NATO's favor

So, I'd like to make a new Y-32 strike-fighter variant (much better sensors and A2A missiles), and a new naval Shikra variant, and fix an issue cause by the out of date Atlas LHD (I know CUP adds one, but I like the standalone Atlas LHD)

Before I get started, I'd like to know if what I want to do is even possible, specifically:

#1) Add an arrestor hook function to the Shikra, without changing the 3d model. I don't mind if there is no visible arrestor hook as long as I can make a variant of the Shikra that can safely land on a carrier.

#2) Add new pylon positions to the Xian without changing the 3d model. Just something that would allow, for example, a "PylonRack_1Rnd_Missile_AA_04_F" to appear at the end of a Xian stub wing. I would also be interested in making a pylon rack of 2x R77 or R73, using the pylons for the Bim9/Amraams. In other words I want to make a counterpart of "PylonRack_Missile_AMRAAM_D_x2" called "PylonRack_Missile_AA_R77_x2"

Is this possible, or are we unable to edit those aspects of Arma 3 assets for now?

More details on what I'd like to do:

Spoiler

#1) Somehow, the Atlas LHD mod breaks ASRAAM missiles fired from pylons. The munition shows up on the pylons, but the weapon isn't selectable. If the weapon is manually added in the init, the ammo counter shows 0, and it won't fire. If the weapon and a magazine are added, then one can fire a number of Asraams equal to the sum of those added by the magazine and the number of Asraam pylons. I gifugre the CIWS turrets of the LHD must overwrite part of the ASRAAM config. My plan is to make a simple copy of the ASRAAM missile - and add the copy missiles(which should be unaffected by the LHD mod) to pylons through the set pylon command

#2) A "strike" version of the Xian with no cargo/passenger space. My plan would be to copy the Radar settings of the Shikra (ie 15 km range) and ISRT settings of the Neophron (5km air, 4km ground).

I would then make the stub wings able to mount R-77 and R-73 missiles

Then, if possible, I would like to add additional pylons on the end of the stub wings that can carry Sahr-3 or R-73 missiles.

If not possible, I'd like to make the outer pylons able to mount racks of 2x R73 or 2x R77 to compensate

Then, again if possible, inside the empty cargobay, I'd like to add another 2 pylons that can carry bombs or cluster bombs. The idea would be that the Xian would have munitions that can drop out of the back of the cargobay (which would no longer accept passengers or vehicles), as has been proposed for the C-130: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_AC-130#Recent_and_planned_upgrades

If not possible, I guess I'd just add a bomb launcher and magazine to the init of any specific mission

#3) A naval Shikra - as a 3rd variant, not a modification of the existing 2 variant. I'd like to add a tailhook function to it  and also  make its RCS a bit higher and the plane itself bit slower.