Sign in to follow this  
BaronVonRed

Creative labs or of?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Nov. 25 2002,18:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Someone should look up a good law firm and toss this at them. I'm really serious. Even if the damage is assessed at $5-$10 dollars per owner, that's one hell of a fine to Creative.

Any bigwig attornies out there playing OFP? biggrin.gif Or are they too busy playing this?

Your witness.<span id='postcolor'>

Incredible! I never realised there was such a thing as yawnware before!

Thank you, Lady, for sharing that with us biggrin.gif

Guest BratZ

BTW people in BF1942 were also having SBlive problems.Some had to disable sound ingame completely.

I would hope that turning acceleration down fixes it as that then basically disables your soundcard. Everything is calculated through software with no help from oncard chips. Which loads up the cpu and will slow the gameplay.

It should work just by turning it down by one notch which will disable EAX and other card specific effects.

Here is a tech babble on what the 4 settings do:

Emulation Setting

The Emulation setting above forces DirectSound into emulation mode. In this mode, DirectSound applications run as though no DirectSound driver is present. All mixing is done by DirectSound in user mode, and the resulting audio data is played back through the waveOut API. The result is typically a large increase in latency. Note that after you select this setting, you might need to reboot if you are running a Windows version that is earlier than Windows XP and you want to change to one of the other three settings: Basic, Standard, or Full. This problem has been fixed in the version of DirectSound that ships with Windows XP and later.

Basic Setting

The Basic setting disables hardware acceleration of DirectSound secondary buffers. Under this setting, all DirectSound applications run as though no hardware acceleration is available, regardless of the capabilities of the sound card that is being used. You can use this setting during testing to emulate a sound card that has no DirectSound acceleration. With an adapter such as the OPL, which has no acceleration of DirectSound secondary buffers, this setting has the same effect as the Standard setting. In Windows .NET Server, Basic is the default setting.

Standard Setting

The Standard setting enables hardware acceleration of DirectSound secondary buffers but disables vendor-specific extensions such as EAX (Creative Technologies' environmental audio extensions) that are exposed as property sets through the IKsPropertySet interface (see Exposing Custom Audio Property Sets). In Windows 2000, the Standard setting is selected by default.

Full Setting

The Full setting enables full acceleration of DirectSound secondary buffers. This setting also enables property sets for vendor-specific extensions that are exposed through the IKsPropertySet interface. IKsPropertySet extensions include vendor-specific hardware enhancements such as EAX. This is the default setting in Windows 98/Me and Windows XP.

Changing the Sample rate conversion slider does not really have any effect on anything so you may as well set this to the Best setting (Default for XP) Win98 defaults to the minimum setting, but set it to max.

You may need to reboot after changing these setting to have the right effect. (but probably not)

Hope this helps someone smile.gif

Lol, so soundblaster cards work by disabling them and letting all sound effect be computed by cpu power? Nice work.

Luckily i don't have those static sound issue in ofp, but creative has given me enough headaches that my next soundcard will be a terratec or turtle beach or something.

My job includes close cooperation with different soundcard manufacturers, including CL and Terratec...only thing I can say I will NEVER use a Creative Labs soundcard again!

Terratec all the way!!