Sign in to follow this  
Prospero

Running scripts from a ramdisk

Hi all (and hopefully Suma!wink.gif,

I've been trying to load some scripts onto a RAMdisk (s:) and run them from it. But how do I use the exec command with absolute pathnames? Nothing I've tried so far works. Can it be done, Suma?

<Praying for an answer!>

Prospero

There is normally no point in using ramdisk. Script files are very small and OS caching works quite well.

The reason I asked, Suma, is that I am trying to get OFP to read a small (changing) file at a high rate (in virtual realtime) - say, 50 Hz. An external program (called HeliSim) generates this rapidly changing (.sqs) file. The file might look like this:

----------

PSpndot = 10.3456

PSpedot = -3.3745

PSpddot = 0.8350

PSphi = 63.1298

PStheta = -2.9443

PSpsi = -0.2892

exit

----------

I.e. I am just loading 6 global variables - with the 3 velocity components and the 3 Euler angles.

Hence I thought a RAMdisk might be solution. Is there another way I might accomplish this?

Prospero

Provided the file is written 50 times per second, Windows write cache (delayed write) will prevent flushing of the file to the disk. Write cache also functions as read cache for subsequent reads of the file. There should be no disk activity if you have enabled write caching (default on). The performance should be the same or better compared to ramdisk.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ID7 @ Nov. 12 2002,15:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Provided the file is written 50 times per second, Windows write cache (delayed write) will prevent flushing of the file to the disk. Write cache also functions as read cache for subsequent reads of the file.  There should be no disk activity if you have enabled write caching (default on). The performance should be the same or better compared to ramdisk.<span id='postcolor'>

Cool.

Many thanks chaps!

Prospero