Sign in to follow this  
brsseb

Question about ferrying units inside other units

I have a question regarding one of OFPs biggest shortcommings; ferrying units inside other units without it falling of.

With the recent addons like the 7decks LSD and the upcomming Mi26 and Antonov-plane Im getting frustratet. Sure it can hold many soldiers and you can land helis on the decks and drive in vehicles in it when they are just standing there (nice for cutscenes), but actually taking to the sea/skies with a load of T80s in the cargo bay is just not possible it seems.

So, my question; Do anyone think that this is something that it is possible to fix in a later major patch by the BIS guys? Or it is most likely beyound what is possible with the engine?

But it was thinking, a heli can transport soldiers because you have inserted proxys for each soldier position. And why cant we have, like cars as proxys? You drive close to the plane/boat, near a named vertex in the Memory LOD just like soldiers and then, magically the car is inserted in a vehicle slot (proxy position) and all units in the car are trown out (maybe left behind by the entering vertex position? (or better, still be able to sit inside the vehicle and stay there, because its a proxy position in the car.)

So not just drive a vehicle onboard, park it anywhere and expect it not to fly off one airborne/waterborne. But a proper secured "parking space" like soldier proxys are? Cant be that hard, simply locking a vehicle model to certan slots in, like, the cargo hull of the LSD? Or just drive in, find a proper parking space and use a command called "Attach to addon" with locks the car in a certain position (some x-y-z coordinates relative to the LSD addons x-y-z coordinates) and follows the LSD addon like a moscito?

Surley this should be able to accomplihed by a patch, no? Or even with a cheap script? It must be done, somehow BIS!! It would give OFP a whole new dimension.

...or am I totally lost here....Please answer this someone, its important. Or give me mail adress to someone who can answer.

Now Im back to my car-ferry model..............(untill someone close to BIS tell me that it just aint possible, Im living in denial! wink.gif )

brsseb

I'm sure that this must be on BIS's list of improvements. Certainly I would say it would be the single most influentual development for both single and multiplayer OFP.

Right now, (with v1.85) you can do velocity matching via script, which is theoretically very easy, but there are lots of other scripting issues you have to overcome to carry this out invisibly - which is why most people dislike scripts - they simply don't do complex stuff really "well". This of course would improve with the ability to precompile scripts, which seems to be something BIS _are_ thinking of doing, bless their cotton socks;)

Prospero

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Prospero @ Oct. 18 2002,20:09)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Right now, (with v1.85) you can do velocity matching via script, which is theoretically very easy, ...<span id='postcolor'>

Velocity match? But lets say we do a velocity match on a parked Jeep inside the LSD. Would that be possible. Doenst velocity match just mean that the other vehicle will drive at the same speed and heading? Sort of like holding a formation exactly?

But it couldnt be that hard to do it properly, BIS? Just add a new LOD of some sort, which seems just like Path/Roadway just that its kinda "sticky" (to be placed in, f.ex. the LSD cargo hull), aka objects standing on it isnt affected by the movement of the boat itself, making it belive it is just standing there on still ground. A surface that is excluded from the rest of the games normal phycis with special attributes.

It must be done... for the sake of mankind!... or something tounge.gif

Guest BratZ

This answers my vehicle proxy question , as I had the same question.Hope this gets addressed, a vehicle proxy would be the best bet,then you can load tanks and such like soldiers.

Even just being able to transport an empty vehicle, in the same way as you would use a proxy to represent a soldier in a vehicle you could represent a vehicle in a vehicle

*Jamesia frowns because he feels that his good question and point has been stolen from this topic here*

grrrrrr

ANYWAY, Im sure it will be possible at some point.

Im sure that someone will make something soon that runs along the lines of "Get in LCD" when you are inside a tank, and the tank goes to a fixed position inside the other vehicle, similar to what happens with troops.

Surely all that it needs is a model of every vehicle possible to put in 1 place onboad another vehicle? Similar to the troops?

1) First of all this is in the wrong forum.

2) Second the suggestions that you make would require so big changes in the engine that the discussion is academic.

1 + 2 = Close smile.gif