Sign in to follow this  
ebud

Editing soldier models

have a couple quick questions for anyone who has worked with the unit models.

the problem I'm having is this.

I have tweaked and tweaked the models so that they are shorter and skinnier overall. Looks great in O2. Now in game, I had to fix the land point so he didn't run on air. Fine, but now when he goes prone, he sinks about 6 inches in to the ground. Just the same amount I used to keep him from floating while running.

Now another problem. it seems that when the animations run ingame, they try to stretch certain points back to where they were on the original p3d. It only looks odd in 3rd person, so i won't worry too much, but I spent a few hours pulling points around and testing, but every time it moved certain points to the same place.

And yes, another question. Would all of these problems be fixed by editing the placement of the memory points? I was finally able to position the hands correctly in game, but only after tons of tweaking and testing. In O2 they are actually quite far from the arms, in the x and z axis.

All of this, just to make a VC the same size as a VC.

If anyone has ANY insights on the workings of the units models, please join in and discuss this. I know a couple models have been converted to units in game, so someone must be able to shed some light on exactly what makes them work.

Ebud

instead of moving the landcontact up.. try moving the entire soldier down.

as far as i know the movement of the 'points' as you say are defined in the animation and its skeleton, we didnt get the tools to edit the animations, so i dont think its possible to make it right.

Had we been given the option to edit/add animations we would have been able to maybe make livestock etc too.

Also animations for belt-fed weapons are very needed.

It would look so much better if we could have machineguns with animated ammobelts, and animations for soldiers feeding the belt into the weapon... im thinking of: M60, fn MAG, mg3/mg42 M2, PK and a lot more...

Hehe the most obvious solution sometimes eludes a person. I'll try it and see. Hehe, was thinking it HAD to be something else... something that simple just couldn't work smile.gif

Ebud