Sign in to follow this  
FAR-Crow

Model give no shadow.....

Hi,

When i try my model in OFP it give no Shadow on Ground....

Every Face properies have Enable shadow cheked....

It seems that it happened when the model begun to be more complex....

Thx in advance for the answer...

How can i do that confused.gif?confused.gif??? what do you meen by modeling a Shadow.... confused.gif?confused.gif

Well i can't remeber right.But just create a copy of your weapon and make it so its a plane.Ill see if i can do it and show you how.

I'll post it here for every one to see.But i'll try.Doesnt mean ill be succesful.But i remeber hearing about that. smile.gif

http://home.attbi.com/~dennyshunk/Shadow.JPG

This picture is over 100 kb so ill post the link.

shadow_2.JPG

Sorry the pictures are sorta messed up.It included my desktop and the O2 modeler tool in the picture some reason and made it 2400x2000 in size.

But all i did was just select the whole model then Shift then left clicked and dragged, and it created two models.Then hit ctrl and left click and it rotates the model.

The bottom gun or the shadow, i just added a black texture, to make it look like a shadow.All though im not an expert, its what i heard some one say how to create shadows.

i had something small with my m113a3 it made it look very bolded but i sharpen it and selected the whole model and pressed F5 now it look a bit better in buldozer

F5 recalculates the normals of the model then the light looks much better

m113a3.jpg

If you are not getting shadows for your weapons in-game, here’s a fix I discovered that works (I don’t know if this will work for all models though, ie: tanks/aircraft/soldiers etc). Lets say you have a model with 6 LODs:

LOD NAME FACES

1 0.350 828

2 0.500 432

3 0.700 224

4 1.700 60

5 6.000 12

6 9.000 0

plus

: Memory

: View-Pilot 1127

The first LOD to be read by OFP for a suitable “Shadow-caster†will be LOD “1â€. If you go into the game and see that you brilliant model has no shadow, it probably has something to do with this first LOD not being suitable for casting shadows because the face count maybe to high, (828). This is what you have to do:

1. Open your model in O2 and “D-Click†LOD 1 so this is selected

2. Open the “Named Properties†panel. If not already open

3. “R-Click†in the “Named Properties†panel and select new

4. In the top field type> LODNoShadow

5. in the bottom field type> 1

6. Press OK

What we have done is prompted OFP to disregard LOD 1 as a shadow-casting LOD therefore skipping to the next LOD in order-of-degradation which is LOD 2. Now this LOD will be used for casting shadows……AAAHHHHAAAA you may ask. What if this did’nt work as well? Then you repeat the process for that LOD….Simple!

Note: A simple rule-of-thumb is to repeat the above process for all LODs that have a higher face count than 300. Ideally, in this case, LOD 3 (224) would be the best choice for a Shadow-caster, so you would leave its “Named Properties†panel empty. You don’t have to worry about making entries into LODs below that count.

I hope this has been of help.

PS: the example LOD stats above is (I know) a rather inflated example for a weapon but it has served its purpose!

i think some lod must be less then 500-400 polys in order to produce shadow.

As nzhavoc pointed out,

To get a shadow do the following,

Open up the Named Properties window in O2 (alt P) and put the following in all lods with MORE than 300 faces. (right click and select new)

LodNoShadow

Value 1

What this does is tell the OFP engine NOT to use that model for a shadow. The first resolution lod with no "LodNoShadow Value 1" entry will then be used for a shadow.

BIS have posted saying you should use lods with less than 300 faces for shadows.

SelectThis