RyanTurner

ArmA 3 - Running a Script on a Keypress

Hey, i've been tryign to make a "jump" on key and i can't get it to work, if addAction to the script with the jump works fine.

moduleName_keyDownEHId = (findDisplay 57) displayAddEventHandler ["KeyDown", "hint str _this;"]; // Init.sqf
MY_KEYDOWN_FNC = {
	switch (_this) do {
                //Key "SPACE" ; Spacebar
		case 57: {
			nul = [] execVM "jump.sqf";
		};
	};
}; // keypressed.sqf
{	
	_vel = velocity player;
	_dir = direction player;
	_speed = 1;
	player setVelocity [
		(_vel select 0) + (sin _dir * _speed), 
		(_vel select 1) + (cos _dir * _speed), 
		(_vel select 2) + 5
	];
}]; // jump.sqf

If i do add an Action on the jump.sqf and make it run init.sqf (run the jump.sqf) it will work fine in game with a Interaction menu, does anyone know why it doesnt work?

Credit to the Jump script by: dreadedentity

Off the top of my head, I would say you need to do (findDisplay 46), not 57.   Display 46 is the main display of Arma and normally you would attach event handlers to that one.

Also, you are using some code to make a hint and that doesn't call your function.

So try something like this:

jumpDisplayHandle = (findDisplay 46) displayAddEventHandler ["KeyDown", "_this call MY_KEYDOWN_FNC"]; // Init.sqf

With your other function as you showed it as well.

You should do a search on this mission editing forum as well.  There's loads of good threads that tell you exactly what to do somewhere in here as well.

:)

i've changed the:

moduleName_keyDownEHId = (findDisplay 57) displayAddEventHandler ["KeyDown", "hint str _this;"]; // Init.sqf

to

jumpDisplayHandle = (findDisplay 46) displayAddEventHandler ["KeyDown", "_this call MY_KEYDOWN_FNC"]; // Init.sqf

and you said to change:

MY_KEYDOWN_FNC = {
	switch (_this) do {
                //Key "SPACE" ; Spacebar
			nul = [] execVM "optreJ_script.sqf";
		};
	};
}; // scripts\optreJ_runner.sqf (chang'd)

to 

MY_KEYDOWN_FNC = {
	switch (_this) do {
                //Key "SPACE" ; Spacebar
		case 46: {
			nul = [] execVM "optreJ_script.sqf";
		};
	};
}; // scripts\optreJ_runner.sqf

but if i change that "Spacebar" will be a Y at the wikipedia, and i've change the files names and directories.
P.S: Still doesnt work.

For me it works with following changes:

moduleName_keyDownEHId = (findDisplay 46) displayAddEventHandler ["KeyDown", "if ((_this select 1) == 57) then {_nul = [] execVM 'jump.sqf'};"]

and

_vel = velocity player;
	_dir = direction player;
	_speed = 1;
	player setVelocity [
		((_vel select 0) + (sin _dir * _speed)), 
		((_vel select 1) + (cos _dir * _speed)), 
		((_vel select 2) + 5)
	];
 // jump.sqf

some comments:

• if you want to know what's in the _this variable use hint str _this
  • Be careful in eventhandelers with double quotes " . Mostly you better use single quotes '
  • Your script jump.sqf was written by you as function. Then you have to use call or spawn.

For me it is not clear what you mean with 

but if i change that "Spacebar" will be a Y at the wikipedia, and i've change the files names and directories.

Maybe you can explain a little bit more.

that the "Spacebar" was for this code

MY_KEYDOWN_FNC = {
	switch (_this) do {
                //Key "SPACE" ; Spacebar
			nul = [] execVM "optreJ_script.sqf"; // jump.sqf
		};
	};
};

cause i want when i press the Spacebar run the keydown and make the action (script) in-game so i can jump via press of Spacebar insteed of interatction menu (scroll menu from ArmA games)

So my code will work as a charm. Please try it, it runs. Without the keydown. It is not addaction.

Be careful with the itnteraction menu (it is called addactien). It is an other thing. 

With my (and also your) code you define a new action by pressing a key. 

In Arma I know three types of eventhandlers:

1. addEventHandler https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/addEventHandler
  2. addAction https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/addAction
  3. inGameUISetEventhandlers https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/inGameUISetEventHandler

All of them work a little bit differently. That make it hard for beginners to find the right one and also to find the right words to describe their problems.

regards 

Im confused now, waht do i need to change to make when i press down the key (Spacebar) to run/do the "action"(action being jump not addAction)

You don't need a change.

1.copy jump.sqf in a file in your mission folder with name jump.sqf

_vel = velocity player;
	_dir = direction player;
	_speed = 1;
	player setVelocity [
		((_vel select 2) + 5)
	];
 // jump.sqf

2. copy eventhandler and paste it debug console. Run it.

moduleName_keyDownEHId = (findDisplay 46) displayAddEventHandler ["KeyDown", "if ((_this select 1) == 57) then {_nul = [] execVM 'jump.sqf'};"] 

that is all. 

Now press space bar and you will jump.

Later you can copy eventhandler in init.sqf or an equal file.

It does work thanks! may i ask for an other thing, if i dont start it localy it doesnt work, how can i make it work via .sqf (init or not) and do you know how to make a x amount of the time so they can jump again (like a x secs so they dont spam it like a jetpack) or make it's anyway to make the with the 

isTouchingGround

you know "only can jump if in the ground" but iwht like 0.5 sleep or 1 sleep on the jump?

Copy the eventhandler in a file named init.sqf in your mission folder. Thats all.

During start up ARMA loads all commads in the init.sqf.

Please have also a deeper look to the https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Event_Scripts

For the second point: You cannot work with a sleep command inside a eventhandler! So we have to found a solution within the jump sqf

Try this

jump = { // your jumping code as a function
	_vel = velocity player;
	_dir = direction player;
	_speed = 1;
	player setVelocity [
		((_vel select 2) + 5)
	];
};
if (isNil "player_jump_time") then // function only executet when variable player_jump_time not set.
	{

call jump;
	player_jump_time = [player,time];	// variable player_jump_time will be set
	} else { //if variable set this part will executet

if ((player == player_jump_time select 0) && (time > (player_jump_time select 1 ) + 5)) then // here we check if the player_jump_varialble is right player and also if the time (here 5 seconds.)
	{	
		call jump;
		player_jump_time = [player,time];	// variable player_jump_time will be set in the eles part
	};
	};

// jump.sqf

For me it works

I've asked about the init.sqf cause the 

moduleName_keyDownEHId = (findDisplay 46) displayAddEventHandler ["KeyDown", "if ((_this select 1) == 57) then {_nul = [] execVM 'scripts\optreJ_script.sqf'};"];

doesnt work if i dont start localy (debug menu), and thanks for the help with the "jump limit" just to ask it's possible to limit the jump script only when standing?

Sometimes the init.sqf loaded to fast. Insert simple a sleep 3; before the eventhandler and than it will run.

sleep 3;

You can check your own speed. If it is zero you can add special code.

_vel = velocity player;
	_dir = direction player;
	_speed = 1;
	player setVelocity [
		((_vel select 2) + 5)
	];
};
if (isNil "player_jump_time" ) then // function only executet when variable player_jump_time not set for the player
	{
		if ((vectorMagnitude velocity player) == 0) then
			{
			hint "I am standing now! and cannot jump"; 

}
		else {
			call jump;
			player_jump_time = [player,time];	// variable player_jump_time will be set
		};

if ((player == player_jump_time select 0) && (time > (player_jump_time select 1 ) + 5)) then // here we check if the player_jump_varialble is right player and also if the time (here 5 seconds.)
			{	
				if ((vectorMagnitude velocity player) == 0) then
				{ 

}

else {
					call jump;
				player_jump_time = [player,time];	// variable player_jump_time will be set in the eles part
				};
			};
	};

Thanks with the Init sleep i didn't knew it actual help'd! and btw if the people isn't moving it can't jump, but if the they are prone/crouch moving they can jump it's any way easy way to fix it?

Yes, https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/stance

_vel = velocity player;
	_dir = direction player;
	_speed = 1;
	player setVelocity [
		((_vel select 2) + 5)
	];
};
if (isNil "player_jump_time" ) then // function only executet when variable player_jump_time not set for the player
	{
		if ((vectorMagnitude velocity player) == 0 || (stance player) == "CROUCH" || (stance player) == "PRONE") then
			{

}
		else { 

call jump;
			player_jump_time = [player,time];
							// variable player_jump_time will be set
		};

{	
				if ((vectorMagnitude velocity player) == 0 || (stance player) == "CROUCH" || (stance player) == "PRONE") then
				{ 

}

else {
					call jump;
				};
			};
	};

Thank you! now a working great (not saying it wasnt) now i can have a Halo jump look-a-like for the missions just one more question, insteed of 

is it possible to use isTouchingGround insteed of delaying the script? you know so only can jump of any height and only can jump when it's on the ground?