Sign in to follow this  
the_noob

Evolution of OFP

A nice vid showing the evolution of OFP from it's "Poseidon" roots till the final version:

None of the "beta" versions were ever leaked, however you can download and play the original incomplete demo of the game on this site:

http://download.freenet.de/Operation-Flashpoint-Demo--2758.xhtml?autostart=1

If you haven't played it yet or a lot of time passed since you did, you will be surprised just how different it feels to Resistance or Cold War Assault. For example the guns sound different (better, more realistic), there's way more recoil, reloading is slower, you're unable to crouch (not realistic but okay ;p ), vehicle physics are a bit different, AI voices are different, it's harder to spot enemies (could also be because of the foggier look) and so on. Only things missing are player fatigue while sprinting and the ability to not sink like a rock when going into water and I would say this version had a better gameplay to it than the Resistance expansion and CWA re-release.

If you're interested into OFP history, check it out.

• Like 5

Interesting details in those old trailers, like commander MG on T-80 and Patton, or some kind of radar station (2:38) and bunkers (2:57), australian style (I think? It's not US desert, though it may appear so in some scenes) camo of NATO forces, TTsKO uniform of Soviets...

I'm definetly looking to download one of these versions, they all look good and worth a try

So, I've found this thread started by The Man Himself, and it contains links to quite a lot vintage articles from early times of Operation Flashpoint (most of the links are in discussion, not the original post).

It seems like BI guys already had a tank! :P

Gravon: Real Virtuality, the first game to use the RV engine (Atari Falcon, 1995) and the predecessor to OFP/ArmA in spirit:

Game 2 aka OFP 2, which later turned into ArmA: Armed Assault:

More pics of Game 2 here.

Download Gravon here (requires Atari emulator "Hatari"; it's playlable in Take On Mars too).

• Like 2