Sign in to follow this  
wibod

Connecting Failed

Hello, I made a post in Terox's thread, but to get more possible replies I'm making this thread.

I'm trying to set up a dedicated server using a windows server 2012r2 machine. I followed the stickied guide and am completely stumped.

Command line

D:\Games\ArmA3\A3Master\arma3server.exe -profiles=d:\Games\Arma3\A3Master -port=2301 -config=CONFIG_server.cfg -world=empty -mod= -ip=***

Config

http://pastebin.com/Ns5tA2wc

RPT

http://pastebin.com/gsK6v2up

So originally I couldn't even get the server to show up, but it started to show up in the browser. Both my client machine and the dedicated server are on the same router, ports are forwarded through the router and windows firewall and router firewall are off. I'm using an ASUS RT-N66U with ports 2301-2310 forwarded as well as 2344, 2345, 8766 and 27016.

The error I get is when trying to join the server I get Connecting Failed. I have a friend who can join the server, he gets an infinite stratis loading screen.

Another oddity is that when I try to join the server the first time there is nothing that appears in the server console textbox, but subsequent attempts will generate a connection and disconnection message on the server console.

I've also tried using TADST, with the same results.

Is there a solution for this or should I just install Linux and see if I can get a server running?

Try disabling the MISSIONS CYCLE as I assume you don't have a mission on the server called "MyMission.altis"  (that or replace the mission name with the name of your mission .pbo file)

I tried disabling the missions cycle earlier today and still got the same result.

From what I've been able to find online (admittedly next to nothing) about the connecting failed error it seems to indicate some sort of port issue? I've got all my ports forwarded and firewalls disabled and tried flipping UPnP on/off. Weird thing is that if I host a local client people can connect to me. I'm using an asus RT-N66U router.

Hmm... am I reading correctly that your dedi is on the same LAN as your client PC and you cannot connect even then?

Your RPT says it's connecting to Steam OK:

1. 16:53:30 Initializing Steam server - Game Port: 2301, Steam Query Port: 2302
  2. 16:53:31 Connected to Steam servers
  You can verify this using this link (replace IP at end with your server's IP):

I've heard of some (cheap home) routers being the issue so if possible try to remove that from the equation - if you have a small 4 port switch or something test with that instead.

Yeah you're reading that correctly that they're on the same LAN. I've also confirmed that the steamapi can connect fine, tells me it's pointing to the a3 folder etc...

I tried putting the ports for the server forwarded through the 2320 range thinking maybe they were interfering as well as enabling upnp in the server config. Still no dice.

I've got a 4 port switch coming, but I've been told that it probably won't even do anything as I have a single public IP.

I'm wondering if the fact that I'm using powerline jacks could be causing the issue, but it doesn't make a lot of sense that it would be. Would only having a single public IP possibly cause this issue?

No your IP should not affect this.. I see your config has your LAN IP specified so you should try and get that working first.  IIRC you might have to put your public IP in there to have outside clients connect.

Powerline jacks can be an issue although I've only used them through work so I can't say for sure.  Is there any way you can test with a switch connected with proper RJ45 cables between you and your server?  If we can get that working the public stuff should follow suit.

Here's a more up to date RPT file; http://pastebin.com/gyB8DFXL

Edit: command line; -port=2322 "-profiles=d:\Games\Arma3\A3Master" -config=CONFIG_Vanilla.cfg -world=empty

I have the server sitting next to the router now removing powerline jacks from that equation, still the same problem. Should have the 4 port switch tomorrow so I'll see if that changes anything. Also confirmed with the ISP that their modem doesn't block any ports.

Hardware wise the server is a 4790k with 16gb. I've tried running a server using both Win 10 N LTSB and now Server 2012R2 (Standard Evaluation).

I've been in contact with ASUS and they've said I'll get to talk to an engineer at some point.

Might be worth a wipe/re-install of A3 server if you haven't tried that already... with the setup following Terox's guide to the letter.

RPT doesn't give us much to go on unfortunately.

Personally I have not used 2012 with an Arma server (ours are 2008 R2) but I assume it does work properly :)

Was able to get the server working.

It seems the dedicated server software is very particular about how ports are forwarded with this router. When hosting from client I had individual port forwarding entries instead of ranges, dedicated server seems to require the ports be input as ranges with this router.