Sign in to follow this  
chronicsilence

CutText on top of Dialog

I have a custom dialog/display open. I need to present white text over top of it, preferably using the cutText or titleText functions. However, something like the following code:

createDialog "myCustomDialog";
cutText ["Hello World", "PLAIN"];

It shows the white text behind the dialog instead of on top of it. Noting from the wiki page that I can tell it to show on a specific layer, I tried

9999 cutText ["Hello World", "PLAIN"];

to try to force it to the front, but no luck. Is there any way to make it show up in front of an open dialog?

You've created a dialogue? You could try to add that message in the dialogue itself.

I have a custom dialog/display open. I need to present white text over top of it, preferably using the cutText or titleText functions. However, something like the following code:

cutText ["Hello World", "PLAIN"];

It shows the white text behind the dialog instead of on top of it. Noting from the wiki page that I can tell it to show on a specific layer, I tried

9999 cutText ["Hello World", "PLAIN"];

to try to force it to the front, but no luck. Is there any way to make it show up in front of an open dialog?

+ 1 to the post above mine. You could do it in the dialog itself (you could even leave the text field blank then write to it later using ctrlSetText).

@DaVIdoSS: that's a very helpful video, I didn't know about some of those functions. It looks like all of the new ones he mentions that I didn't already try though (BIS_fnc_infoText, BIS_fnc_titleText, BIS_fnc_titleText2) all have funky animations that I'd prefer not to have to use.

@R3vo & austin_medic: adding it to the dialog might work. The issue with that though is that there's no command I'm aware of to fade a control in/out, and I'd really like a fade. You can use ctrlSetFade I suppose, but you'd have to spawn a script to repeatedly change the fade level.

EDIT: ahh, looks like I could fade it in over time with ctrlSetFade and then ctrlCommit (time). So things brings up a new point. I have a lot of dialogs, and I'd like a generalized solution to show a message over top of any of them. This means that I need to have a base dialog config class with the text message control which all the other dialogs inherit from, so I don't have to manually put the control in every new dialog I create (I could, it would just be messy programming practice). I cannot, however, figure out how to get a dialog config class to inherit controls from other config classes. For example:

// the base controls class containing my message text control
class cfg_controls_base
{
class cfg_control_testing : RscText_Background
{
	idc = 999;
	text = "TESTING";
	x = 0.5;
	y = 0.5;
	w = 5;
	h = 1;
};
};

// the dialog config that inherits the base controls
class cfg_dialog_test
{
idd = 200;
movingEnable = false;
enableSimulation = true;

class controls : cfg_controls_base
{
	class cfg_control_test2 :RscText_Background
	{
		idc = 1000;
		text = "ANOTHER TEST";
		x = 0.5;
		y = 1.5;
		w = 5;
		h = 1;
	};
};
};

This does not work, because the dialog class only shows the "ANOTHER TEST" control, and not the one it should inherit.

Edited by ChronicSilence