Sign in to follow this  
alanford

Changing loadout of default units

Okay so I need to change the loadout of some default unit classes, such as "O_medic_F". And I can not use the standard way of doing it via initexec and adding the "RemoveAllItems this ;" and then adding items.

I have to edit the actual default config inside the pbo files, because I want to change the units in a mission that randomly spawns units.

I am assuming there's a CfgVehicles config file somewhere? Where can I find it? I've looked through all the characters_f pbos...

Your best bet is to make a replacement config, rather than editing core game files. You'll likely break your game by messing around with them.

Your best bet is to make a replacement config, rather than editing core game files. You'll likely break your game by messing around with them.

Okay, thanks for your feedback. So I have googled and read about replacement configs a bit.

this guide seems nice: https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA_3_Replacement_Config_Tutorial

however some parts seems redundant to me:

Extract the classes of the desired vehicle/infantry/weapon item/set/type/faction to replace

Extract the classes of the replacements

Clean both their content for all but the relevant parameters (see below for more information); this regex will remove all but the mentioned parameters:

I know exactly which units I'll be changing, and their unit class. Do I still need to do this step?

But there is also no detailed documentation on how to correctly write the config for replacing stuff. So for example, if I wanted to change the gun of every "O_Soldier_F" would this be correct?

class CfgPatches
{
	class replaceGuns
	{
		units[] = {};
		weapons[] = {};
		requiredVersion = 0.1;
		requiredAddons[] = {"replaceGuns","HLC_Core"};
	};
};
class CfgVehicles
{
	class [b]A3_Characters_F_OPFOR[/b];

class O_Soldier_F: [b]A3_Characters_F_OPFOR[/b]
	{

linkedItems[] = {HLC_AK74","HLC_Ak74_Ammo","ItemMap","ItemCompass","ItemWatch","ItemRadio"};

};

Okay, thanks for your feedback. So I have googled and read about replacement configs a bit.

this guide seems nice: https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA_3_Replacement_Config_Tutorial

however some parts seems redundant to me:

I know exactly which units I'll be changing, and their unit class. Do I still need to do this step?

But there is also no detailed documentation on how to correctly write the config for replacing stuff. So for example, if I wanted to change the gun of every "O_Soldier_F" would this be correct?

class CfgPatches
{
	class replaceGuns
	{
		units[] = {};
		weapons[] = {};
		requiredVersion = 0.1;
		requiredAddons[] = {"replaceGuns","HLC_Core"};
	};
};
class CfgVehicles
{
	class [b]A3_Characters_F_OPFOR[/b];

class O_Soldier_F: [b]A3_Characters_F_OPFOR[/b]
	{

linkedItems[] = {HLC_AK74","HLC_Ak74_Ammo","ItemMap","ItemCompass","ItemWatch","ItemRadio"};

};

I don't know about the linked items and their classnames, but I know that your inheritance structure is miles off

class CfgPatches
{
	class replaceGuns
	{
		units[] = {};
		weapons[] = {};
		requiredVersion = 0.1;
		requiredAddons[] = {"A3_Characters_F","HLC_Core"};
	};
};

class CfgVehicles
{
	class O_Soldier_base_F;

class O_Soldier_F: O_Soldier_base_F
	{	
		WHATEVER GOES HERE	
	};
};

And I fixed your cfgPatches as well, you don't want your addon requiring YOUR addon, it'll loop out and cause errors gallor (and either CTD and/or prevent the addon from working).