Sign in to follow this  
Fiodor

Expanding the editor via Addon Module

Hi, name's Fedor and I'm trying to add some functionality to the editor via-module that would save a lot of time for editors of my community.

It's the first time I try any kind of scripting in Arma and it took a great deal of keyboard-to-head to get to where I am... So, here's where I'm at:

I have an editor module (functioning as per the step by step this link) that has a couple arguments, like this:

class Arguments: ArgumentsBaseUnits
{
class [b][color="#B22222"]Units[/color][/b]: Units {}; 

class [color="#000080"]SampleArgument[/color]
 	{
	displayName = "Some data"; // Argument label
	description = "Some data I want to use"; //
	typeName = "STRING"; //type of the arg
};

[indent](...)[/indent]

};

And myModuleFunction, that is called when the Editor Module is initiliazed in the game:

// ???? aparently this is the triggering entity
_logic = [_this,0,objNull,[objNull]] call BIS_fnc_param;

//synced units, these units are the ones declared in the [b][color="#B22222"]Units[/color][/b] in the Arguments class in the Editor Module
[b][color="#B22222"]_units[/color][/b] = [_this,1,[],[[]]] call BIS_fnc_param; 

_activated = [_this, 2, true, [true]] call BIS_fnc_param;

if (_activated) then 
{
//magical stuff happens with the info 
};

So my question is... how would I go about accessing from the function (myModuleFunction) custom defined arguments, such as SampleArgument (as declared in the editor module class) ?

The way I see it, you can define custom variables in the editor module so there should be a way to access them.

I have yet to see an addon like this. So... is this even possible ?

Edited by FedorSFS

Use the logic variable:

_logic getVariable "SampleArgument";

Use the logic variable:

_logic getVariable "SampleArgument";

Thank you very much!

Did I miss any documentation in bi wiki, or is this something you knew out of experience?

I'd like to know if there's any additional information sources that I missed, so in the future I can answer my own questions, instead of just researching here and there, only to end up asking in the forums.

I figured out from another Arma coding friend of mine, I had the same issue you did for days until I talked with him, I don't believe this info is on the wiki, should probably be added, but I'm too lazy to add it myself.

Thanks, I've added that the function example in the step-by-step guide so that there's at least an example of that.