Sign in to follow this  
PicVert

3ds import prob...

When I try to open some of downloaded 3ds file format, it's only in "Left" view but not in other... What's up....??????

THX

Try zooming out. The origin of your object might not be where you think it is.

Prospero

I've try that but ....... nothing.....

thx

I think is a bug of import 3ds. or in this 3ds files ????

I don't have a problem importing .3ds files, but then I am using 3DS Max - and if you stick with the native software, you generally don't have a problem. Prob is, it's very expensive. Of course, trying to find it on a warez site or newsgroup is illegal and SHOULD NOT BE DONE.

Be aware that all sorts of funny things can happen when you start loading high polygon count models into O2. I'm still experimenting here, but splitting stuff up into chunks of roughly 200K (the .3ds file size) seems to work well. If you go bigger than this you can find that the model will load in O2 fine, but will crash OFP when the game engine tries to render your object. If you go even bigger, both O2 and OFP will crash out.

To anyone seriously wanting to model stuff - get 3DS Max. Somehow. At least until the alternative, namely Gmax (which is free from the Discreet site) supports both importing and exporting .3ds format files. It can only import them at the moment, which is f*cking annoying, and totally useless when it comes to working with O2. I have buggered about with various conversion routes, but they are all dodgy, and you will quickly become peed off. If BIS really wanted to support amateur modelers they would add a function in O2 to import .gmax files, but hey, I don't blame them for not doing so - it's a lot of effort and what would the returns be?

For those who are new to these programs, 3DS Max is the "industry standard" program and works with .3ds and .max files. Gmax is its little brother (a limited version), and works with .gmax files - yes, a different format. Both programs are by a company called Discreet, which is part of Autodesk (of AutoCAD fame).

Prospero