Sign in to follow this  
memphisbelle

rebuild terrain leaves just a flat terrain

Hello everybody,

I have stumbled about an issue with Terrain Builder that appears occassionally and I still dont know what it refers to. If the rebuilded terrain in the layers Raster in TB looks like that, then the Terrain itself will be just a flat Map. I have experienced this quite a few times in the past and always could solve it by refreshing the rebuilded terrain from source. But after the last update this doesnt work anymore as TB will always crash then. The problem is that it doesnt make any sense to make a map if it will remain flat. So does anybody know where the origins are lying in this issue?

Thanks in advance

regards

Memphis

---------- Post added at 12:40 ---------- Previous post was at 11:32 ----------

reimporting the terrain file seems to do the job, but this doesnt explain where this issue comes from, so if anyone has an idea...that`d be welcome

Edited by MemphisBelle

but this doesnt explain where this issue comes from, so if anyone has an idea...that`d be welcome

Bohemia Interactive. They updated the Arma 3 Tools not too long ago.

Bohemia Interactive. They updated the Arma 3 Tools not too long ago.

yeah, that explains the crashes once the heightfield terrain will be refreshed from source, but that doesnt explain why the heck the terrain wont be rebuilt properly at all...sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt...that is really annoying.

It´s also annoying that the armatools.rpt wont log any entries about the crash, why the heck is there actually a rpt if it wont log crashes that occur?

---------- Post added at 14:50 ---------- Previous post was at 14:27 ----------

OK, i figured out that once it happens again and I keep the actual terrain layer in the raster and refresh the heightfield from source, TB will crash. If I remove the terrain layer (which is not possible for the heightfield layer) and refresh the heightfield then, it´ll converted in a terrain layer. By rebuilding then again it worked out the last time. I still try to figure a stable workaround and if that doesnt help, so I´ll add this to the bugtracker.

yeah, that explains the crashes once the heightfield terrain will be refreshed from source, but that doesnt explain why the heck the terrain wont be rebuilt properly at all...sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt...that is really annoying.

That is really Arma. The times I used the Rebuild Terrain button, I remember clicking in the layer window (bottom right) to make it indent as it didn't seem to do that automatically.

It´s also annoying that the armatools.rpt wont log any entries about the crash, why the heck is there actually a rpt if it wont log crashes that occur?

I never used the Arma Tools, just ran TB straight from the folder and I think that also makes a dump when it crashes so maybe check in that folder.

OK, i figured out that once it happens again and I keep the actual terrain layer in the raster and refresh the heightfield from source, TB will crash. If I remove the terrain layer (which is not possible for the heightfield layer) and refresh the heightfield then, it´ll converted in a terrain layer.

That is just very shitty programming.

By rebuilding then again it worked out the last time. I still try to figure a stable workaround and if that doesnt help, so I´ll add this to the bugtracker.

I'd just re-import the terrain layer to save yourself the annoyance of having it crash all the time.

I'd just re-import the terrain layer to save yourself the annoyance of having it crash all the time.

thats exactly what I did before the update when those issues took place, but after the update (march 4th) TB crashes when I´m doing it so. Doesnt it Crash for you in such cases?

Well I have zero problems with refreshing my heightmap. Maybe it is related to the file format of yourheightmap? Have you tried something else like, for example, .xyz?

Well I have zero problems with refreshing my heightmap. Maybe it is related to the file format of yourheightmap? Have you tried something else like, for example, .xyz?

I used to use xyz before. Now I am using asc. This issue used to happen with xyz as well, thats why I switched to asc. If I only would know what causes this issues, actually it seems to appear randomly and hard to reproduce or to force.

thats exactly what I did before the update when those issues took place, but after the update (march 4th) TB crashes when I´m doing it so. Doesnt it Crash for you in such cases?

I'm sorry. By re-import I meant remove the terrain layer first, that also removes that indented layer that TB generates through Rebuild Terrain I believe? If that's not possible anymore then they screwed up good and you'd need to start a new project everytime, re-import everything there including objects layers etc.

One other possibility could be that it's working from the wrong mapframe if you have more than one like it was in Jakerod's old tutorial (not the Atlas). That's about all I can come up with.

I'm afraid I wouldn't know if it crashes on me. I uninstalled Arma 3 and removed the P: drive contents the other day, I decided to focus on another engine for now that doesn't come with half-broken tools and no help from devs whatsoever.

I'm sorry. By re-import I meant remove the terrain layer first, that also removes that indented layer that TB generates through Rebuild Terrain I believe? If that's not possible anymore then they screwed up good and you'd need to start a new project everytime, re-import everything there including objects layers etc.

One other possibility could be that it's working from the wrong mapframe if you have more than one like it was in Jakerod's old tutorial (not the Atlas). That's about all I can come up with.

I'm afraid I wouldn't know if it crashes on me. I uninstalled Arma 3 and removed the P: drive contents the other day, I decided to focus on another engine for now that doesn't come with half-broken tools and no help from devs whatsoever.

Yeah, removing the layer rather then just refreshing it seems to be a sort of solution...at least somehow. I´ve got the Feeling that every Workaround doesnt work the next time and I Need to find somethings else to continue working. At least it somehow works everytime, even if it takes several tries.

I uninstalled Arma 3 and removed the P: drive contents the other day, I decided to focus on another engine for now that doesn't come with half-broken tools and no help from devs whatsoever.

Thats sad to read, but I can understand this. At least BIS tries to line up with the Community although it sounds easier as it seems to be I suppose...may I ask which Game/Engine you´re concentrating now on?

Unreal Engine 4 since Epic made it free and open source. I've only messed around with it a little bit but the whole experience so far has been much smoother than Arma. It does have a very different purpose compared to Real Virtuality but since I'm not necessarily interested in editing a milsim game it's not much trouble for me to switch, I can actually do more now.

I may come back to editing for Arma at some point but right now I'm more interested in something that actually lets me focus on what I want to do, not what hoops I have to jump through this time to do it.

Ahh yes, UR4. I´ve heared about it´s public release somewhere back in end 2014. I´ve got the launcher here as well already, but would do a look into it just out of couriousity.