Sign in to follow this  
vasiljev_zaitzev

Logitech g600

Hello, fellow brothers in arms!

I have come to the conclusion that I am sick and tired of running out of buttons on my keyboard to accommodate for all the actions that Arma has to offer. Considering that I am playing with upwards of 25 to 30 mods, I am getting pretty swamped with keybindings. In order to relieve some of the strain on my keyboard I have started to think about buying an MMORPG mouse, such as the Logitech g600. However, I am not sure if the buttons are compatible with Arma 3. By that I mean if you can actually program the individual keys for individual actions in both vanilla and modded arma.

Based on this, I would highly appreciate all information and advice that I can get concerning this issue. I would also appreciate alternatives to the g600 if anybody has any experience with other alternatives. Thanks in advance :)

As long as the functionality is still in the Logitech software (I don't see why it shouldn't be) you can bind individual mouse buttons to keystrokes. On my g5 I bind the tilt wheel left and right to ctrl+a/d to adjust side stance; this is set to automatically bind when arma3.exe is running.

Whilst you might not be able to bind all of the buttons directly, you should be able to get the controls based a combination of setpoint implementation and in game binds.

If windows sees the g600 as a game controller then you should be able to bind then all in game. I can bind any of the dozens of buttons on my warthog hotas e.g. I use one if the hat switches left for map, right for GPS, up for nvg and down for internal/external view when flying.

Thank you for your response. However, when you say that you can bind individual keys on the mouse to keystrokes, does that mean that I will have to make the mouse buttons correlate to a key on the keyboard itself? For instance, if I want to change my grenade throwing button from G on the keyboard to one of the buttons on the mouse, do I just say that e.g. button 5 is the same as G on the keyboard and that when I press the button number 5, it corresponds to G on the keyboard?

I apologize if this was hard to understand, but I hope you can make sone sense out of it :p

I apologize if this was hard to understand, but I hope you can make sone sense out of it :p

Unfortunately that's exactly how it works. The G600 does not magically add buttons. But with a little trickery you can have an enormous gain nonetheless. I used the numpad- and F*-keys with different modificators on my G600 to have just some controls bound to my mouse. And that works like a charm. The functions I use my G600 for are zoom, changing the sight mode, using different tfar-radios and additional channels, looking around and the agm-interaction keys. That's all I need and it's almost more than one thumb can handle. But the G600 is definitely a great mouse for Arma.

Thank you for your response.

You say that you are using the g600 with tfar and AGM. Is it easy to program the keys you use to speak on the radio, change channels, increase and decrease the volume etc?

That' s all in the settings. AGM uses their own menu, while most addons use the cba-method nowadays. If you can select a keyboard key for your action, you can route that to one of your mouse keys.

Ah, I think I understand. So in theory I am not getting more keys to bind, I just get a more convenient placing of the keys?

Exactly, basically you're programming the mouse to carry out the key strikes for you.

This is same way that the old thrustmaster hotas used to work, you would write a macro file and a control binding file then upload then to the stick. This way you could formulate very complex combinations of keystrokes based on the programming of the macro file. Essentially it was just a keyboard emulator with about 30 buttons :)