Sign in to follow this  
Richie

Buldozer terrain looks like an egg box, where did i go wrong ?

Hey all,

Does anyone know where i went wrong with my terrain ? In Buldozer it looks like a lego block map

Linky > http://i.imgur.com/Qos32YB.png

I used L3DT to create my terrain.xyz if that helps.

Edited by Richie

hahahaha...that looks indeed very funny. I havent seen somethings like this as of yet, so I cant tell you precisely what you made when wrong. But what I can do is giving you an advice.

Get back into the Terrain Forum and just click the link for Jakerods Atlas guide.

This tutorial tells you step by step what to do in order to get a working map. By this I suggest to figure out by your self what you´ve made wrong.

Edited by MemphisBelle

I'm new to terrain building, if i could figure it out i wouldn't be asking :)

Even if i can find out where i went wrong it would help, it's either L3DT or when i imported to TB.

It's exported as a .xyz file, I also exported the sat, normal and mask from it.

Okay, so looking at the 3D view of my terrain in L3DT shows this > http://i.imgur.com/vnS4oVV.png

If i smooth it then it looks better, is there a way to smooth an entire map in 1 go ?

or does anyone know where i went wrong ? surely it shouldn't be this way, I thought importing a .tiff from Here would copy all the terrain height including mountains and hills etc

My terrain is all flat, there are no hills or valleys, there should be

Looks like you've made a mistake somewhere along the line - most probably with the initial data you downloaded... that doesn't look like a heightmap/DEM at all...

Make sure you're actually downloading Height data, and not shaded imagery or anything... Try downloading the Arc ASCII Grid format instead maybe...

B

The Arc ASCII Grid looks even worse, it's just a series of spikes :confused:

Does anyone have another source i can use ? Open Topography doesn't seem to like me.

Looks like you've made a mistake somewhere along the line - most probably with the initial data you downloaded... that doesn't look like a heightmap/DEM at all...

That leads me to a certain question.

Where did you got the DEM files from OR how did you began your project in L3DT?

Is it actually a downloaded DEM file?

That leads me to a certain question.

Where did you got the DEM files from OR how did you began your project in L3DT?

Is it actually a downloaded DEM file?

I used This Site, selected an island and downloaded the Geo TIFF

That imported directly into L3DT, after that it seems my problems begin :(

Where else can use to import an island/land mass to get started ?

The only edits i did were to the terrains vertical and horizontal values, as explained in CaptnCaps video tut Here

hmmm...Its sometimes a little annoying to recieve proper hightfield data. There are pretty professional programs around. But it takes its time to get into this as it is not very easy as well.

So I suggest to get your L3DT started and create an own terrain from scratch and import that one then into Terrain Builder. You´ve got to master a pretty steep learning curve.

As soon as you got more used to all the terrain stuff and figured out why TB works as it works...or even not...you can get back to the mesh data stuff.

I used to play around with certain programs a couple years ago. Give me some time to gather the stuff together, meanwhile focus on learning how to get a working map ingame and stuff.

Is that a word?

You can get lots of decent data at http://earthexplorer.usgs.gov/, though, as MemphisBelle says, I'd definitely do the Basic Tutorial first... Jakerods new "The Atlas" Tutorial is by far the best - get that HERE.

And I wouldn't mess with max and min heights on realworld terrains unless you're absolutely sure what you're doing, regardless of what Cptn Caps says....

B

I did actully do 'The Atlas' tutorial and with good results, the only snag was it came with pre-made stuff that i wanted to learn myself, Captn Caps guide was a start to finish tut.

I know i need to walk before running but i wanted to do multiple guides, learn that there are more than 1 way to skin a cat.

All the guides i followed so far have taught me so much, I'm starting to 'get' what does what and why :)

I now understand my 'Lego' map is caused through downloading bad data, I've just chosen another random island and it doesn't have the 'Lego' issues, guess i just got unlucky with my island download.

The usgs.gov website i did look at, any guides on how to actully get the data downloaded ? I couldn't quite figure out that part.

The usgs.gov website i did look at, any guides on how to actully get the data downloaded ? I couldn't quite figure out that part.

In the top-right of the page with the Google Map, directly below 'Page expires in:' is a link to the Help: https://lta.cr.usgs.gov/ee_help

That should get you the info you need, just be sure to register an account before you start, you need one anyway to download files from there.

I did actully do 'The Atlas' tutorial and with good results, the only snag was it came with pre-made stuff that i wanted to learn myself, Captn Caps guide was a start to finish tut.

I know i need to walk before running but i wanted to do multiple guides, learn that there are more than 1 way to skin a cat.

Absolutely the exact best way to start! Well done! If only all the new guys were so methodical! ;)

Yes - bad data definitely... you'll know immediately when you see good data - it'll be just like the tutorial data - a "proper landscape"...

THIS GUIDE is a little out of date now since it was for Arma 2 - it follows the same basic idea as The Atlas Tutorial - a set of readymade files which you're encouraged to repath one at a time in an effort to familiarise you with the basic overall structure and what files go where, etc. However - it also discusses the "why's" in a bit more detail... Almost all of the actual discussion - about what config parameters mean and what they do, what all the different classes in cfgSurfaces, or Layers.cfg are for, etc, etc - is all still pretty much relevant and applicable to the new Arma 3 stuff, so it's worth reading thru and having handy as a "lookup reference"...

Good luck!

B

Thank you to everyone for the help, my issue is now solved and i learnt some more :)

See you all in my next error :banghead: who knows, maybe one day i'll be the one helping others.