Sign in to follow this  
Mokomoko

Terrain Grass Glitch

Can anyone explain me this grass texture glitch? I don't know why it looks like that, and obviously not how to fix it.

I tried turning the clutter off, and using a different grass texture. The first didn't do anything and the latter made the ground black around me...

Any help is greatly appreciated!

If you mean the 'wave'-effect, it's a parallax effect. Set Terrain Detail to Standard in Video settings to get rid of it.

Your grass texture is rather blown up though, what texture cell size did you pick on the Samplers tab in TB? (Texture cell size is the one that should be close to 40x40m, it's in the same section as where you specify the overlap)

If you mean the 'wave'-effect, it's a parallax effect. Set Terrain Detail to Standard in Video settings to get rid of it.

Your grass texture is rather blown up though, what texture cell size did you pick on the Samplers tab in TB? (Texture cell size is the one that should be close to 40x40m, it's in the same section as where you specify the overlap)

Thank you very much for your answer! (Or dankjewel? :D)

This is how my Sampler settings look like:

http://picload.org/image/ciaadoa/samplers.png (221 kB)

You're welcome (sorry, forum rules say we can't has Dutch in here :))

640x640m o.O

That's a bit too much. What that means is that one tile of your grass texture is stretched out across 640x640m terrain. Try lowering that to 40x40 or as close to that as possible.

You're welcome (sorry, forum rules say we can't has Dutch in here :))

640x640m o.O

That's a bit too much. What that means is that one tile of your grass texture is stretched out across 640x640m terrain. Try lowering that to 40x40 or as close to that as possible.

Well that was all it took! I don't have that weird wave and transparency effect anymore! Everything looks awesome now!

You made my day!

God bless you! :)

^^

No problem, I was playing with that setting the other day, put it to 5x5 meters which makes each texture tile look like a poststamp from the air :D

Even 10x10 crashed my terrain builder :P I like your 40x40 value - I think that's the perfect balance!

I like your 40x40 value

It's MINE! Well, ofcourse it isn't :) but almost every tutorial I read before I got started with terrains recommended that value without ever stating why.

It's MINE! Well, ofcourse it isn't :) but almost every tutorial I read before I got started with terrains recommended that value without ever stating why.

It's just the one that the engine handles best. You're Resolution there isn't doing you any favors either. You probably want a 1m/px resolution if you can manage it.

It's just the one that the engine handles best. You're Resolution there isn't doing you any favors either. You probably want a 1m/px resolution if you can manage it.

Did you mean the terrain info I posted in the other thread? Bushlurker also pointed out a few things to me and it looks like I'll be starting over just to be on the safe side of things.

Did you mean the terrain info I posted in the other thread? Bushlurker also pointed out a few things to me and it looks like I'll be starting over just to be on the safe side of things.

Not sure what you mean exactly. I was just referring to the 40x40 being the optimal size for that. Miro explained it to us all once (probably more than once). It's just the best value for the engine. You probably don't need to start over. Just need to make your mask bigger and the resolution lower. 10m/px is pretty high.

Not sure what you mean exactly. I was just referring to the 40x40 being the optimal size for that. Miro explained it to us all once (probably more than once). It's just the best value for the engine. You probably don't need to start over. Just need to make your mask bigger and the resolution lower. 10m/px is pretty high.

Sorry, I should've linked the thread: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?188154-Too-many-objects-in-grid-rectangle-x-y/page2

I quoted Bushlurkers comments in my own reply. I believe you may be mixing up MokoMoko's settings as being mine though. My own map currently has a 0.4m / px ratio.

Sorry, I should've linked the thread: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?188154-Too-many-objects-in-grid-rectangle-x-y/page2

I quoted Bushlurkers comments in my own reply. I believe you may be mixing up MokoMoko's settings as being mine though. My own map currently has a 0.4m / px ratio.

:D Yep you're right I did.