Sign in to follow this  
clawhammer

What is taking my fps down?

I believe the biggest jump is going from 1600-2100, the increase then from 2100-2400 seems to be significantly less. I guess the bottleneck is mostly overcome by 2100, feel free to go buy some 3000mhz ram and send me the 2400 sticks :D

Maybe i should order some DDR3 3000Mhz ram :D

It's not all about the MHz. It's also about the timings http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?166512-Arma-3-CPU-vs-RAM-performance-comparison-1600-2133-up-to-15-FPS-gain

Btw Clawhammer if you want some tweaks to get better performance with tuning settings without losing much I suggest to put Object detail on standard. That has a great impact on fps. You really don't miss those objects when set higher than standard because you'll likely need to zoom to see anything. Terrain and texture detail can be set on Ultra, SMAA or CMAA are better than FXAA IMO and you might not need that much sharpen then but those really depends on per person. ATOC on grass is pretty useless thing but it's a nice thing for trees especially in Chernarus.

Out of interest regarding ram speeds vs fps.

I have been tweaking the overclock on this i5 750 (£40 upgrade from my i3 530 :D) and got a decent overclock on the ram, it is now running at 1768 from 1600 (bog standard 2x4gb crucial ddr3 1600) an I saw an increase in fps from 43 to 51 on the benchmark. Loading into the editor in the centre of pyrgos I get a solid 60-70fps (the old i3 would get 35!) with vanilla arma3.

Been like that since OFP - this series loves memory bandwith.

Each single hertz you can get out of this setting increases the ammount of data your ram can shuffle around in one working step.

Think of it as an (car talk) increased engine displacement, which of course equals more power.

Using multiplicator does´nt affect memory bandwith, hence it won´t yield the same drastic improvements as overclocking dram directly.

(take this with a pinch of salt, the last time i rly knew about stuff like that was 2003 :p)

Using multiplicator does´nt affect memory bandwith, hence it won´t yield the same drastic improvements as overclocking dram directly.

(take this with a pinch of salt, the last time i rly knew about stuff like that was 2003 :p)

That's why I've pushed my bclk up from 133 to 221 and turned the cpu multiplier down in order to clock the tits out of the ram! I could have left it at 20x200bclk for 4ghz but then the ram is only running at 1600mhz (200x8), at 19x221bclk I get 4.2ghz and a healthy ram overclock at 1768mhz (221*8) as well as the additional 200mhz core speed increase.

Even going from 1600-1768 gave a good fps increase :)