Sign in to follow this  
 joseypie

Why are the problems from OFP 1.46 and Res. still in ARMA 3? The death of good MP :(

Arma 2 and Arma 3 still have the same problems we had way back even in OFP 1.46. I was expecting these weird physics issues to be eliminated while adding new gameplay features and better graphics.

A wonderful part of OFP for me was in the player-vs-player maps and missions and in the making of these. Unfortunately, it was a bit of a pain in the ass to manipulate simple CTFs and C&Hs unless you could handle some scripting (most people can't). Still, the modders and players could simply not do without this game, so we pressed forth and poured thousands of hours into making fun maps and missions even with all of the bugs in OFP. We had competitive CTF ladders, we had CTI and KaRRiLLioN's RTS, insane amounts of modded servers and custom CTFs and C&Hs - we had more PVP servers than we did Co-op - actually, "PVP" wasn't a term used until ARMA 2 came out and was essentially considered too buggy and "PVP" became exceedingly rare.

ARMA 2 comes out. ARMA 3 comes out. It's still complicated as fuck to make a fun CTF or a cool DM or even some different styles of C&H. It's exhausting to re-create everything again, we were promised the world - that it would be easier and the bugs would be gone. There are almost no pre-made missions that make the transition from non-programming hack to master map-maker. Almost every server is some dumbed-down (and pretty much CO-OP only for 90% of the time) version of the old CTI (which was far inferior to RTS, even back then) or some silly co-op "life simulation" like wasteland, domination or whatever same old map that's been the same darned thing for the last four or five years. Now it's "pay real money to get money in armalife." Really?

The variety of gameplay is gone. The problems from the original game were never fixed. Please do something to enable us to create the great multiplayer community we once had. Give us a smooth product that encourages the community to create content. You still cant even drive a jeep in this game without having to treat it like it's made of glass.

Does nobody rememer ofp.gamezone.cz? Every player was using a mod at some point. Certa's OFP mod launcher? The original mods for cargo, heli-lifts, fast-roping, etc.? The modded jets? Fokkers and Spaceships etc.? Insane amounts of mods and custom maps and servers and experimenting and a good-time all around beyond the competitive PVP community (which is gone now). Just the sheer amount of user-created islands and shenanigans made the whole mod folder/disconnecting/reconnecting/re-downloading experience worth it.

Give us this one game. Fix the physics problems, let us have a better player-vs-player experience and release a damned programming manual (not some poorly translated Russian 3rd party stuff) with several pre-made easy-to-modify CTHs, CTFs, C&Hs, etc.. Don't sell me stupid $16 helicopters, sell me something that'll bring back the community we've lost. Please!

Fix the problems that hindered the OFP 1.46 and Resistance communities - these could have been multi-million-player communities had ARMA 2 fixed any of the real problems we had in OFP. Why are they still in ARMA 3? What the hell is with this helicopter DLC? Get your priorities in line with exactly what I want because obviously my opinion is the only one that matters.

/rant

Get your priorities in line with exactly what I want because obviously my opinion is the only one that matters.

/rant

Could have narrowed down your post to just this.

Could have narrowed down your post to just this.

My apologies for being self-aware.

I sorta agree with Joe, only I never played PVP.

The coop missions in OFP were great. All different, all engaging. And you needed teamwork, planning etc. If you died, you were out.

Then came Domination (Fun at first) and similar missions and pushed you into 1 route to success. And that's pretty much where Coop has been since then.

Patrol ops and invade & annex are just different flavors of the same thing.

Probably why Life/wasteland/zombies are so big now.

But what exactly are you asking for? Lets say Capture & Hold. Would a gamelogic object help in that case? Place it on map and it keeps track of how long a side has kept it etc.

What if theres 1 enemy in that area? Would that still count as a 'captured' area?

In a way I agree. If you want something in BIS games, you have to make it yourself and hope to God someone has made a tutorial about the thousand things you need to know.