Sign in to follow this  
SKULLS_Viper

Hungry bears breaking into homes

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/den....53.html

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">BOULDER, Colo. -- Imagine seeing a hungry black bear rummaging through your kitchen when you enter your home.

1675119_200X150.jpg

1675126_200X150.jpg

That is happening to homes in Boulder County, prompting wildlife officials to issue stern warning to homeowners in bear country to lock their windows and doors.

More than 10 homes in the Sugarloaf, Sunshine Canyon and Four-Mile Canyons areas have been broken into by bears, the Colorado Department of Wildlife said.

One man told 7NEWS that it happened twice to him. There are claw marks on the side of his home and paw prints on his windows (pictured, left) where a bear has been pushing on the windows to see if they open, 7NEWS reported.

"Almost every bear reported in Sugarloaf and up Sunshine Canyon has entered through window screens or open sliding glass doors in the last week," said DOW Officer Tina Jungwirth.

"When bears enter a house, they are heading straight for the kitchen, looking through cabinets and the refrigerator. In one house they bumped into the stove and actually turned on the burners. In other homes, we've found paw prints and evidence they've been drinking out of the toilets," said Jungwirth.

Window screens are little deterrent for hungry bears, and some closed but unlocked doors have been pushed open by bears as well, wildlife experts say.

"We can't say for certain that this is all the same bear; it could also be several different bears working the canyons," Jungwirth said. "On Four Mile Canyon and Sunshine Canyon we've seen a sow with two cubs, so we know it's not just one bear there; it's one bear teaching two other bears these bad habits."

In many foothill neighborhoods, "Bear Aware Teams" have distributed pamphlets about co-existing with bears.

Many residents have been diligent about keeping things that attract bears out of the sight and smell of bears, but it takes only a few neighbors to leave a welcome mat for the mammals, Jungwirth said.

Black bears eat almost anything so if you live in bear country, officials say keep garbage out of reach, do not store pet foods outside, clean your barbecue grill and store it inside, and take bird feeders in at night.

Another concern for the DOW is that people are not reporting their bear break-ins.

Of the 10 houses hit by bears in Jungwirth's district recently, only one-third were reported to the DOW, she said.

"I have a concern that people aren't calling me because they are afraid we will kill the bear if they report it," Jungwirth said. "They need to know that our first action will be to haze or frighten the bear, to change its behavior before it's ingrained. If we let these bears continue feeding uninterrupted, they will learn that breaking into houses is rewarded with great food. We need to get in there with some deterrents, such as noise and rubber buckshot, and remind bears that entering homes is a bad idea."

<span id='postcolor'>

Hahaha!Pretty smart animals. biggrin.gif

Isnt USSoldier11b around there? Maybe he got eaten by a bear!! I havent seen him around lately, mebbe he's bear chow. biggrin.gif

Reaklly, anyone that lives in bear country shouldnt need to be told the things you need to do to avoid trouble. I guess having lived in the wilds for the majority of my life, I find most 'city folks' to be irredeemably silly when it comes to wildlife.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ Sep. 20 2002,05:09)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Isnt USSoldier11b around there? Maybe he got eaten by a bear!!  I havent seen him around lately, mebbe he's bear chow. biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

nah...i don't think his girlfriend is a bear. tounge.gif

but as you said, as humans live closer to nature, they should be more careful. and i think bears are getting smarter too wow.gif

No, Fort Collins(USSoldier lives) is way up North from there.About an half hour or an hour drive from there.I live sorta close to Boulder.About 20 min drive from there.But i havn't seen any bears.And i hope not! wow.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RalphWiggum @ Sep. 20 2002,06:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">and i think bears are getting smarter too  wow.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Maybe in a few years I can go in a forest to pick mushrooms and talk politics with a bear. smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ Sep. 20 2002,05:09)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Isnt USSoldier11b around there? Maybe he got eaten by a bear!!  I havent seen him around lately, mebbe he's bear chow. biggrin.gif

Reaklly, anyone that lives in bear country shouldnt need to be told the things you need to do to avoid trouble.  I guess having lived in the wilds for the majority of my life, I find most 'city folks' to be irredeemably silly when it comes to wildlife.<span id='postcolor'>

Nope I killed him,

He tried to steal my tank AGAIN!!!

Okay then so I wounded him, I couldn't make myself to kill him but bug him ohh yes.

I dumped him somewhere from 10000 feet with a chute so he problobly still alive somewhere.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">1000 grizllies vs. T72, who would win? LOL<span id='postcolor'>

18_crazy.gif