Sign in to follow this  
olli_

use of registered trademarks and company names?

plenty of copyright threads here but cant find an answer to this specifically.

Whats the stance on using real world manufacturer logos, real world names for weapons/vehicles etc.

for instance, i have an AIM-9X which is produced by Raytheon, and i have the Raytheon logo on the model as is on the real-world counterpart (right on the tail) all my bombs and such are also named according to their real counterpart, and im assuming stuff like aim-9x or "sidewinder" might be copyrighted?

Im just asking because i notice a lot of the assets that come with the game have been rebranded even though theyre obviously based off real world stuff. I really want to use the real-world names and logos and such because they all add to the aesthetics and having to change them to some generic made up name would be a bummer..

hopefully i can get an answer to this before its too late to modify all my existing assets

I would stay away from company names. This is a contest in which money can be made, which is usually forbidden with copyrighted material. Mods and addons are one thing, it's free to the public, but money changes everything regarding copyrights

Your work won't be judged based off logos, the model, textures, and functionality ingame are what matter

Sidewinder is the Military specification of the Missle itself, just like the AIM-9 handle. The easiest way to go about is to at least try and contact the company you are looking to use materials from.

Though a couple of years ago, military games tend to use weapon specifications as they pleased and calimed a "fair use", resulting in some court visits lately, involving companys like Colt, Hughes and Bell.

You might not get the allowance you are looking for so it's better to keep the Logo off.

We ourselves tried to contact companys we feature in our addon for months without any type of response. Especially things marked with the TM Symbol can get rly rly hairy if they decide to go after you.

Sign in to follow this