Sign in to follow this  
Demongornot

Are those features still planed ?

With the fact that now TOM have MP and probably a lot of efforts are put in it, are some features that was initially planed still worked one and planed ?

_Such as advanced programming, i have read some time ago that a "JPL/NASA's 3D software" like was planed to help programming our rover like they do IRL ?

_Or like animated launch sequence (even if a video sequence will be better for me in term of visual realism, mainly if this is the sequence of the true rocket launch and require less work) ?

_Things like rover still working when disconnected from them AND (in real time mode) when the game is not launched ?

_Several delay of transmission, short one of some seconds for the one who want to play in real time but still want a delay for challenge and realism, and realistic delay for those who want to only use rover programming ?

In fact my original vision of TOM was to play with realistic delay + only programming, and if i can, use an old computer that will (in plus of others things useful for me) ran TOM 24/24 7/7 and or at least for the day and when i have free time, check the status of my rover, what he have done and programs others actions, in fact doing like if i have my own rover on Mars in real time, but with the fact that rover programming still today really limited in every ways, the fact that MP probably take all the development time and that the forum is...Dead...More than 10 days without any small message, not topic, but just post, it is in my opinion not good for a game forum...I now start to have doubts on the fact that the game will keep evolving in the initially planed way...

So please devs, can you told me if you can if all features that was initially planed are still planed or not ?

Thanks !

Hi Demongornot, the forums here seem to lack activity, that is true, however the steam forums for TKOM are much more active:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/244030/discussions/

I'd like to say that you need not worry about the features that were planned. Right now we are concentrating on the manned mission elements, yes, but not because we do not wish to finish the robotic section, but rather because changes in the manned section break saves for the robotic section, so we need to get that out of the way as soon as possible.

To specifically address your questions:

_Such as advanced programming, i have read some time ago that a "JPL/NASA's 3D software" like was planed to help programming our rover like they do IRL ?

Yes, this is in the game already though not entirely complete. Not all vehicle commands are complete, but their completion is still planned.

_Or like animated launch sequence (even if a video sequence will be better for me in term of visual realism, mainly if this is the sequence of the true rocket launch and require less work) ?

Using a real video sequence presents legal issues, which we will certainly avoid. The planned rocket launch sequence was meant to be interactive, where errors may occur and if you do not take appropriate steps to avoid them or stop them, the rocket may blow up, losing the vehicle. This is very low on the priorities list however.

_Things like rover still working when disconnected from them AND (in real time mode) when the game is not launched ?

This element will require a lot of time to implement and has been put lower on the priorities list for now.

_Several delay of transmission, short one of some seconds for the one who want to play in real time but still want a delay for challenge and realism, and realistic delay for those who want to only use rover programming ?

This is part of the vehicle programming, and should be implemented along with the programming.

Thanks a lot of the answer, This is a really good new for me !

I'll take a look at the Steam Forum !

And maybe Nasa/JPL can give you legal free access to their official video of launch of vehicles ? But anyway if a dynamic launch sequence is planed, of course video are not the solution.

A last question, i have already ask it but i don't remember to get clear answer on this.

Will the manned expedition be part of the robotic expedition in the campaign ?

I mean, will we be able to start from almost nothing, with only probes, like actually and with new things unlock on the tech tree the Manned Expedition ?

Or will we have two different thing with only rovers and probes on campaign and Manned Expedition on scenario mode ?

Thanks !

No problem, always happy to answer :)

Yes, the campaign will have the robotic section as it does now, and will be followed by a manned mission to the surface, so yes the campaign will also have a manned part. There will be an option to skip straight to the manned mission for those who wish to do so however, but that bypasses all achievements in the robotic section and so on.

Thanks for the informations, good to know !

No more info on when keymapping will be improved ?

I still have the issue that make me unable to rebind any key :

I can't rebind the same key for move rover forward and astronaut walk forward for example, and since i use a Logitech G-13 keyboard and i never use defaults keys on any game, i can't really play/test Take on Mars yet...

I hope a updated key binding will come soon !

No new about Keybinding ?

And by the way i have find a video on the NASA's youtube channel that may interest you since they talk about some technology for manned expedition on Mars IRL :

Hi Demongornot!

Yeah the keymapping is not being sorted yet, we have a major milestone by the end of the month - survival elements. I expect after that we'll see fixes to many things, including the keymapping.

Cheers for the link, very informative!