Sign in to follow this  
thirith

Questions re: setting up a Arma 2 dedicated server at home

I have a few questions about creating a dedicated Arma 2/OA server that I'm hoping the community can help me with.

I've been hosting the occasional small MP session for 3-6 people, playing on the same computer that hosts the sessions. Recently we've used Evolve to play via virtual LAN, with mixed results - some sessions worked just fine, others much less. However, I've got an E6600 with 4GB of RAM and was wondering if it'd make sense and improve things to use it as a dedicated server for those sessions. My questions are as follows:

1) Is this likely to improve performance (and possibly stability) for myself and the other players compared to launching an MP session on the computer I play on?

2) Is it possible/feasible to use that E6600 to launch a Teamspeak 3 server at the same time, so we can play with ACRE or Task Force Radio?

3) My max upload speed at home is 2 Mbit/s; I take it that's more immediately relevant than the download speed, which is up to 20 Mbit/s. Is this generally okay for coop sessions with 3-6 players?

4) Anything to watch out when setting up the server? I'm aware of some of the tools and possible pitfalls, but I've never yet set up a dedicated server for anything.

Many thanks in advance for your replies!

Edited by Thirith