Sign in to follow this  
iconoclastdx

Any ideas on how to make a unit go where he doesn't wanna go?

I've been battling with AI pathing issues over an over again and I've just about had it. Sometimes I can kludge my way out of it with ugly setVelocity and vectors but usually I just have to abandon my ideas completely. However I'm getting tired of giving up and would like to figure out a viable strategy of forcing vehicles to drive into places where they refuse to go such as water, hills, buildings, vehicles, hangars, fences, driveways, boardwalks, trees, units, goats, over bridges, under bridges, under radio towers, over cliffs, garages, rocks, tiny bumps... I could go on. I've tried unitcapture but its inconsistent at best and consistently unreliable (especially for multiplayer) at worse. I'm sort of at my wits end. Does anyone have a good strategy for forcing units and vehicles to go where you want them to without constantly, incessantly, fighting with the AI????

My latest issue which is driving me mad is simply trying to get a quad to drive down a hill. Its not even that steep of a hill. But it refuses. It just sits there with its front wheels digitally welded to the ground (literally) or drives in circles and gives up. How hard could it be to get a vehicle front the top of a hill to the bottom without rolling out a fukin red carpet. Sigh.

Well, I guess no one else is bothered by this, or it's completely intractable. Still, I find it hard to believe that you can't script a truck to drive down a bloody hill. Hell, I'd be happy if you could put a vehicle in neutral and let gravity do the work! Anyway, arma has won again and I've abandoned my scripting scenario, again, in lieu of something simpler. Sigh.

Well, I guess no one else is bothered by this...
It's not that no-one is bothered, it's just the easier you make it for someone to help you the better the chances of someone helping you.

If you show you've tried then that's a step in the right direction.

I was originally going to tell you the best way of getting someone to go where they definitely don't want to,

is to get married.

.. Still, I find it hard to believe that you can't script a truck to drive down a bloody hill.
There is. UnitCapture and Unitplay.

You can use Unit Captutre/Unit play where you actually take the controls of the vehilce and drive it yourself.

Everyone of your actions is recorded and can be played back. When played back the unit driving the vehicle will follow

your recorded actions. Check out youtube for tutorials on Unit/Capture/Unit Play.

How-to-use-UnitCapture-in-Arma-3

You could also use setDir and setVelocity on the vehilce and just fling it down the hill in the direction you want.

See setVelocity

and setDir

Again you can google or search these forums for help on these functions.

Once you've done a bit of researching, come back and let us your progress, or ask for help.

Hope that helps.

You're welcome.

Thanks Beerkan. I appreciate the reply. My previous research and experience with unitPlay is that it does not work reliably in A3 multiplayer. Have you read that this is no longer the case?

I also have extensive experience with velocity and direction approaches which (not that I don't appreaciate the suggestion) , frankly do work horribly with AI vehicles (in my hands) as they actively resist anything that deviates from their prefered path (eg. They instantly break to resist velocity changes)

Both of these approaches I addressed in my original post, however I appreciate your reply. I'll try to make my requests more functionally specific in the future.