Sign in to follow this  
overvolts

Ubuntu VPS PHP web interface problem executing autostart shell script.

I have a hosted VPS server with Ubuntu 14.04 operating system. I have successfully installed steamcmd and Arma 3 server following an online guide. I have also installed a apache2, php, mysql web server software. I have created a bash shell script file that starts, stops, restarts, checks status of the Arma 3 server. The problem I am having is implementing a website to be able for php to run this bash script. I have checked and the shell_exec() function is working in an attempt to run the file but I get the following errors. When running stop is says "No screen session found" and when I try to start or restart I get "Must be connected to a terminal". I'm not sure if its my autostart script or a linux operating system configuration problem. I am fairly new to linux and decided on this platform since I code websites in php that mostly run on linux based web servers.

Script that works in terminal but gives errors with php execution. (a3server.sh)

#!/bin/bash

case "$1" in
       start)

# Configs directory
		ConfigDir="/ssd/arma3/configs"
		# Network settings used in -cfg param
		networkConfig="$ConfigDir/basic.cfg"
		# Server configuration settings used in -config param
		serverConfig="$ConfigDir/server.cfg"
		# Server profile and difficulty settings used in -name param
		profileName="server"
		# Server-side mods
		mods=""
		# Start server
		screen -S ARMA /ssd/arma3/arma3server -cfg="/$networkConfig" -config="$serverConfig" -name="$profileName" -mod="$mods" -world=empty -port=2302 -noSound

;;

stop)

# Kill Screen
		screen -X -S ARMA kill

# Kill Arma Server
		kill -9 arma3server

;;

status)

if ps aux | grep "arma3server" > /dev/null
		then
			echo "Arma 3 server is running"
		else
			echo "Arma 3 server is stopped"
		fi
           ;;
       restart)

# Kill Screen
		screen -X -S ARMA kill

# Kill Arma Server
		kill -9 arma3server

# Configs directory
		ConfigDir="/ssd/arma3/configs"
		# Network settings used in -cfg param
		networkConfig="$ConfigDir/basic.cfg"
		# Server configuration settings used in -config param
		serverConfig="$ConfigDir/server.cfg"
		# Server profile and difficulty settings used in -name param
		profileName="server"
		# Server-side mods
		mods=""
		# Start server
		screen -S ARMA /ssd/arma3/arma3server -cfg="$networkConfig" -config="$serverConfig" -name="$profileName" -mod="$mods" -world=empty -port=2302 -noSound

;;

*)

esac

echo "Current command: $1"

Allowing this via webpage is not very safe to be honest....

The best way would be to actually start the script via a terminal. If on Windows, use Putty. If on Mac, you can use Terminal.

I am currently using putty to ssh in and run this script, the problem is I want other members to be able to start, stop, restart etc without giving them shell access. Webpage should be find as long as its secured with either apache .htpasswd or php login script authentication. Also I have looked into open source game panels like bgpanel, gamepanelx, opengamepanel etc as an alternative but haven't figured those out yet for adding an Arma 3 profile to the panels. I want some type of website solution to be able to control start, stop, restart, check server whether its a custom shell script or already developed game panel.

Well I finally figured out what exactly the problem was. It was a Linux permission issue. I had to edit the sudoers config file with visudo command. I added the following to this file: www-data ALL = (root) NOPASSWD: /arma3/arma3start.sh What this does is add root privileges to Apache user (www-data) to the arma3start.sh file. Then all I had to do was add sudo in front of my php execution command. Also I found a better server control script in this thread: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?169926-Linux-Dedicated-Server-feedback&p=2725910&viewfull=1#post2725910 Hope others will find this useful.