Sign in to follow this  
olli_

aircraft wheels have no traction

ive defined my wheels with driveOnComponent[] = {"wheel_1","wheel_2","wheel_3"}; but this makes my wheels completely frictionless. they slide on slanted ground and steering doesnt work (pretty sure thats related)

anyone know whats up?

ok so a few more things ive figured out,

the game seems to think my airplane is in the air even when its on the ground. the wheels dont roll when i move (theyre setup correctly ive tested in buldozer, and they used to roll before i renamed my wheel geometry proxy as componentXX) and I can retract the landing gear even while on the ground, so the plane just lowers down on to its belly. I can also re-extend them, which makes the plane stand up back on to its legs (it looks pretty funny). Basically the plane spawns in the "on the ground" mode, which means i can get out and cant retract landing gear, but once i move even slightly, the plane enters "flight mode".

still got no idea what is causing this :/

edit: just to clarify, there are 3 wheels, each has its own geometry LOD mesh (cylindrical, plenty of sides, like 18 i think) and each is named wheel_1, wheel_2, wheel_3 and also Component19, Component20, Component21

edit2: i removed the Component19-21 selections for the wheel Geom and this does fix steering, and the plane is correctly simulated as "on the ground" but now the wheels have no collision and just sink in to the ground... im able to replicate all the functionality i need, just not all at the same time

Edited by Olli_

alright thanks for all the help guys, ive managed to solve the problem.

for any future generations struggling with this:

it seems that the ground contact points in LandContact LOD cannot be named the same as the wheels themsleves (despite me reading from MULTIPLE sources on these forums that the LandContact LOD does NOTHING and has NO EFFECT on ANYTHING), so if your wheels are wheel_1, wheel_2, and wheel_3, the landcontact points have to be something else. I named mine wheel_1_stabil_1, wheel_2_stabil and wheel_3_stabil. Thats what they are named in the sample plane but im not sure if they absolutely must be named that, and some other community mods seem have the landcontact points named differently so go figure.

I also moved all the LODs in my p3d so the plane's center of gravity is closer to the 0,0,0 point of the scene. I dont know if this has any effect but the sample plane is set up like this so im just going with the flow. Originally i had the plane's wheels aligned with the Z = 0 plane (which seems only logical for a vehicle that moves on the ground, but i should already have learned that logic is worth jack shit when dealing with this engine.)

my theory on why this works:

I have absolutely no idea