Sign in to follow this  
eonel

Need your help with ammo low mission

Am stuck here. I plan & execute a good ambush - with luck can even take out both the tank & bmp with RPGs.

But by the time I've done this the infantry is out & on top of me.

Help. How did you finish this ?

Gimme a mine or a satchel & I can finsh the job.

I had a second man with RPG, let him the first shot at the tank and fired immediatly a second round finishing it of and meanwhile the other one reloaded and finishes of the BMP. So I have enough time to switch to AK and kill the troops while disembarking. PK takes care of the truck crews. However, it took some reloads until both trucks remain functional, so we could drive them away. lazy cheater wink.gif

I guess my definition of a "good" ambush would include dealing with the infantry as well, not only the armor.

From what I understand of your dreams, you will find things you like in the Ammo Truck which is in the convoy. To access it, obviously, you need to deal with the infantry.

I did it the hard way: shooting the BRDM before it unloads all its crews, then poping in & out of the holes of the terrain to eliminate the infantry one by one. Obviously, it helps if you placed your team mates strategically to cover you, but not too exposed so as not to lose them (I did it with zero casualty).

The first time I did it, one of the trucks slipped through the barrage, and went 2 kms down the road. Had to run after it, but for some reason it was laying destroyed without his driver,and could not be driven back.

Two questions for those who did it:

1. I waited & waited for the second wave of tanks announced by the Radio Kid (forgot his name), but they never came. So I went back to base and the mission was finished.

2. I brought the trucks back to the base, thinking I would find the ammo truck with all its payload waiting for me at the beginning of the following mission. Well, too bad: I began the following mission armed with the weapons I finished carrying, but no ammo truck in sight, no ammo crate with the ammo...

I had similar frustrations in the following missions: I forget that I have stowed a Dragunov in the Castle at the end of Scrap mission (I had to choose between a Bizon & a Dragunov: hard choice!wink.gif. Then I start the following mission (attacking the checkpoint and then the base), and after a quick reconnaissance, decide that it would be a good time to go & pick-up the Dragunov in the Castle. I am hardly 500m NE from the mission starting point when I get this message saying that I am straying away and that I should look at my map (else termination, if it is like in the previous Opuses)! Why am I forbidden to go in that direction? And by the way, is the Dragunov still in the Castle?

So that means it is quite difficult to pile-up weapons throughout the campaign as it is suggested, if you can't store them in vehicles or on the ground and have to carry them all on you (and probably your mates, but which ones?) before switching to the following mission... The idea of persistence through the campaign is great, but why not go all the way?

This said, it is damm good...

E.

I never had any problems with this mission.

The first time I completed it, it took like two seconds to waste the convoy, took out the BMP first so the infantry never had a chance to disembark, my other RPG guy got the tank. Long before that the truck crews were taken out of action by the AK47 guys.

Placed my squad in two groups on each side of the road

A RPG guy, PK, and AK47 on the right side and myself carrying an RPG, and two additional AK47's on the other side hiding in some bushes a little uphill with good view of the action.

Placed my guys widely apart to get the enemies confused with bullets flying from every direction, don't know if that tactic works properly against AI:s though. confused.gif

I think the ruskies never fired a single shot.

The second wave was taken out with some strategicly placed mines/satchels.

Much like Shunts approach. No great trick here. Just make sure your attack is sudden. I set most of my team on the inside of the hill just before the junction, I took a few guys on the opposite slope in the undergrowth.

Issue a hold fire order then wait until the convoy is right beside you ( within 100m )before giving the go order. Your team should all open fire and I found they usually kill most things in less than 5 seconds. The few troops who do survive are picked off even as they get out of the trucks. Usually I can do this one without the russians returning a single shot.

In short, I placed my machine gunner and RPG soldier in the valley at the end u came from behind a small ridge. Facing down the road. West I think (use the watch direction command)

I gave myself the RPG-75 and situated the rest of my squad along the high ground with the rocks and trees at intervals between rock and trees ect.

I then situated myself on the tallest rock I could find and then waited with the rest of my guys who were watching north (the same command again). I waited for the BMP to pass my position and then ordered everyone to open fire (previously placed in hold fire mode). I hit the BMP and specifically ordered the other RPG trooper to hit the T72, whilst taking my own pot shots at the troops who emerger from the trucks, I ordered the machine gunner on the ridge looking down the road to open fire on the trucks.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ejanvi @ July 01 2002,11:07)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I guess my definition of a "good" ambush would include dealing with the infantry as well, not only the armor.

From what I understand of your dreams, you will find things you like in the Ammo Truck which is in the convoy. To access it, obviously, you need to deal with the infantry.

I did it the hard way: shooting the BRDM before it unloads all its crews, then poping in & out of the holes of the terrain to eliminate the infantry one by one. Obviously, it helps if you placed your team mates strategically to cover you, but not too exposed so as not to lose them (I did it with zero casualty).

The first time I did it, one of the trucks slipped through the barrage, and went 2 kms down the road. Had to run after it, but for some reason it was laying destroyed without his driver,and could not be driven back.

Two questions for those who did it:

1. I waited & waited for the second wave of tanks announced by the Radio Kid (forgot his name), but they never came. So I went back to base and the mission was finished.

2. I brought the trucks back to the base, thinking I would find the ammo truck with all its payload waiting for me at the beginning of the following mission. Well, too bad: I began the following  mission armed with the weapons I finished carrying, but no ammo truck in sight, no ammo crate with the ammo...

I had similar frustrations in the following missions: I forget that I have stowed a Dragunov in the Castle at the end of Scrap mission (I had to choose between a Bizon & a Dragunov: hard choice!wink.gif. Then I start the following mission (attacking the checkpoint and then the base), and after a quick reconnaissance, decide that it would be a good time to go & pick-up the Dragunov in the Castle. I am hardly 500m NE from the mission starting point when I get this message saying that I am straying away and that I should look at my map (else termination, if it is like in the previous Opuses)! Why am I forbidden to go in that direction? And by the way, is the Dragunov still in the Castle?

So that means it is quite difficult to pile-up weapons throughout the campaign as it is suggested, if you can't store them in vehicles or on the ground and have to carry them all on you (and probably your mates, but which ones?) before switching to the following mission... The idea of persistence through the campaign is great, but why not go all the way?

This said, it is damm good...

E.<span id='postcolor'>

After you complete the mission you should be able to choose any of the stuff youve stolen from the Gear menue before the start of the next mission. If you leave a weapon ion the ground in a mission I don't think it'll get carried on to the next, so leaving the SVD in the castle is basicall losing it; it think.

There is one mine and three satchel charges in the ammo trucks. I spread them around both sides of the trucks told everyone to take cover & waited. The tank will hit the mine & then wait for the BMP to pass over the chrges & touch them off. Really shook me! Tank and BMP both took off bodies flying everywhere! Wouldn't it be nice to have action replays to watch it all over again from different angles?

Isn't this great, what a sense of involvement.

Regards

David