Sign in to follow this  
NickThissen

Helicopter fly in height maximum?

I am trying to make a mission where units start in a helicopter flying at high altitude (say 500-800 meters). When the helicopter hits a trigger the units are ejected using a simple paradrop script.

The problem is that, no matter what I do, the helicopter does not want to fly at this altitude. I start it out at 500 meters, I set its flyInHeight to 500, I set the waypoint (the only waypoint) to 500 meters AND set the flyInHeight again on that waypoint (can't hurt I guess). Even then, the helicopter completely ignores its waypoint and first decends to something like 100 meters. It does a couple of huge banked turns to descent quickly which completely ruins the mission because it's hitting all kinds of triggers and flying over enemies. Once it has reached the ~100 meter altitude it seems to go back to its waypoint.

All I want is a helicopter to fly at 500 meters in a straight line, but whatever I do it completely ignores my orders and descends to about 100 meters before continuing.

What's the reason for this? Is it not realistic for helicopters to fly that high? Is this a bug?

To reproduce: just put a manned helicopter, put yourself as an AI in the helicopter (at least not pilot). Set its Elevation to 500 and use "this flyInHeight 500" as init line.

Then put a waypoint somewhere straight ahead, far away (other side of Altis for example). Set its Height to 500.

Start mission and you will see the heli first descends in all kind of weird circular paths, instead of just flying straight like I'm telling it to....

Waypoint behaviour can in some cases override flyInHeight. What's it set to? Safe/Careless should be a good option. Otherwise, try using "this disableAI 'FSM'" (without " ") in the init of the helicopter to completely remove AI behaviour scripts from that helicopter.