Sign in to follow this  
shinkicker

Engine dies within seconds (Arma 2 car port)

I had this before on a boat and put it aside. The same thing is happening again, but on a car port (Hilux Civil Open)

I am doing a port of the A2 hilux into A3. I have all of the memory selections in place that I could map between both a2 > a3, Geometry Phys and everything else seems ok, but the engine always stops as soon as I start it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrOFVG8fl4I

I am using the example config.cpp and models.cfg from the Arma 3 Tools Sample directory for car. In there i only had to change a few values (such as model name) and in the model.cfg i placed the model name towards the bottom (as i have done many times before).

Anyone had this? Any clues as to what can normally cause this?

Also as you can see, the hand positions are wrong. I have the following set up:

driverLeftHandAnimName = "drivewheel"; /// according to what bone in model of car does hand move

driverRightHandAnimName = "drivewheel"; /// beware, non-existent bones may cause game crashes (even if the bones are hidden during play)

But how do I widen the arms? Or do I need to make the steering wheel smaller?

Edited by shinkicker

Tried a few more things, but still have this issue.

I toned down the mass and increased enginePower.

Still the engine switches off. One point noted is the exhaust stays on.

Are you sure the engine actually switches off ? Or is it just silent ?

I had a similar problem with my SUV: The engine would play the sound of the start, but then be silent. I could drive, but no sound.

Sound is computed as a linear interpolation between idleRPM and redRPM. If you use the sample car sound.hpp, you will notice that it has a line "#define MAX_RPM 6900". This is the maximum RPM of the engine according to the sound, but it has to be defined in physx.hpp. The test car doesn't do that, and probably goes with engine defaults, which might be wrong.

So, just add "redRPM = 6900;" to the physx.hpp and you should hear the engine. You might need to tweak this to the actual settings of the engine you've defined.

Regarding the hands:

The hands will stay at the same position relative to the bone you define (drivewheel here). You can not move them apart.

There are two options: You could make a new static pose for the driver with the hands properly aligned to the wheel. Or, take the easier way, and adjust the position of the driver proxy so that the hands end up correctly aligned to the wheel. Judging from the video, your driver's viewpoint is pretty low, you can't see the street in front of you, so adjustments are necessary, anyway...

Hope that helps.

Are you sure the engine actually switches off ? Or is it just silent ?

I had a similar problem with my SUV: The engine would play the sound of the start, but then be silent. I could drive, but no sound.

Sound is computed as a linear interpolation between idleRPM and redRPM. If you use the sample car sound.hpp, you will notice that it has a line "#define MAX_RPM 6900". This is the maximum RPM of the engine according to the sound, but it has to be defined in physx.hpp. The test car doesn't do that, and probably goes with engine defaults, which might be wrong.

So, just add "redRPM = 6900;" to the physx.hpp and you should hear the engine. You might need to tweak this to the actual settings of the engine you've defined.

Regarding the hands:

The hands will stay at the same position relative to the bone you define (drivewheel here). You can not move them apart.

There are two options: You could make a new static pose for the driver with the hands properly aligned to the wheel. Or, take the easier way, and adjust the position of the driver proxy so that the hands end up correctly aligned to the wheel. Judging from the video, your driver's viewpoint is pretty low, you can't see the street in front of you, so adjustments are necessary, anyway...

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the cargo view tip. That is clearly the best easiest way.

For the vehicle itself, I should have mentioned that it does not drive or move at all.

For the vehicle itself, I should have mentioned that it does not drive or move at all.

Hmm... does your engine have enough power to move the car ? Is the weight correct (in the p3d file) ?

Hmm... does your engine have enough power to move the car ? Is the weight correct (in the p3d file) ?

Going to check this now..i was using the test car config from the arma tools samples directory

I might try the civil truck config instead from A3.