Sign in to follow this  
EleSigma

Suggestion for the Manned Landing Module

After looking at the manned landing module in the game I did a quick sketch of a design of my own.

http://i.imgur.com/Eos6g3B.png (127 kB)

It makes the capsule smaller as the one currently in the game is too large for re-entry and with current set up is a bit wasteful with space. This capsule removes the supply/cargo hold on the bottom, which could be a separate, unmanned landing craft.

The lander is composed of two levels, the top being where the pilot sits, would have a pull-down glass MDF display similar to the interior of the newly unveiled Dragon capsule and would seat up to four people. Here there would be 3 port-holes to view the outside of the capsule and a door with retractable ladder to exit the capsule from. The top level can also be sealed and depressurized to act as an airlock.

The lower level is accessed using a ladder in the floor of the top level via a sealable hatch. The second level contains two rooms, the room the ladder access opens into is the lab, which would contain equipment to study regolith, rocks, environmental effects on certain materials, and basic food growing tests. The second room would be the habitation area, hosing the life support, having deployable beds, a shower, toilet, and housing food and water storage in the floor. The lower level does not have any windows to save space, weight (windows are heavy) as well as protect the structure of the capsule and protect the astronauts from long term exposure to unfiltered solar rays.

Landing would happen with the drogue being deployed, followed by retractable thrusters firing extending from the craft and firing until landing. Also deployable landing legs of course for stability. Which I forgot to add to the sketch. :(

Though I don't think it will be represented, but in transit the lander would be attached to a service module that would hold extra fuel, air and water for the journey to Mars. The vehicles and any extra cargo would be sent in an unmanned capsule before the manned mission would arrive, with the manned mission touching down near the cargo capsule.

Edited by EleSigma

Nice sketch :)

The reason for the cargo hold is to hold everything that is needed for the mission. There have been many designs put forward by various organizations, but the one we've mostly kept to is this:

http://galaxywire.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/mars_mission.jpg (608 kB)

This is only slightly smaller then what we have, but also contains everything needed for the mission. Note that a rover for moving across the surface is essentially a must, especially if you did have a separate module landing with equipment.

Nice sketch :)

The reason for the cargo hold is to hold everything that is needed for the mission. There have been many designs put forward by various organizations, but the one we've mostly kept to is this:

http://galaxywire.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/mars_mission.jpg (608 kB)

This is only slightly smaller then what we have, but also contains everything needed for the mission. Note that a rover for moving across the surface is essentially a must, especially if you did have a separate module landing with equipment.

Though the large windows on the second level won't make it in? I don't think I would want nearly unfiltered solar radiation shining in on me all day when radiation is put into the game. The port-holes on the upper level are ok, but the large panoramic windows are a bit much I think.