Sign in to follow this  
TerrainAlien

Importing A2/OA addons in Visitor 4

Just copied unpacked the "plants_e.pbo" and moved it into my a3 folde on the p:drive. i can use and place the objects without an error,

but they have a black or white texture. dont get any error so far. is there allready a way to fix this?

for me works perfect ,use this to move the A2 addons to V4.

You'll need Mikero's "MoveFolder" tool - plus any other "required" tools... from HERE

Then you'll need a copy of your old CA folder from your Arma 2 Tools P:\drive - paste that onto your Arma 3 P:\ drive

* Remember - the Arma 2 models don't exist in Arma 3 - you CAN'T just use this CA stuff on a terrain and expect it to work in-game - the only reason you're putting it on P:\ is to make models packs from, since everything, including the tool you'll be using, assumes that all work happens on P:\ *

Now you have a P:\CA to draw textures from, but the models themselves are still the original Arma 2 binarized ones...

What I did at this stage was to download the Arma 2 mlod samplemodels and overwrite all the models I was interested in using in P:\CA with the mlod models... Now, if/when you use the more complex "Crunch from config" option in Move Folder you'll be drawing on the unbinarized models too - which is what you want...

However, for something simple like a tree pack where the models have no config.cpp, you can use the simpler "Crunch from p3d" option... Here's how...

* Make a folder - P:\YourTag\My_Trees_Pack

* Go to P:\CA\Plants2\Trees - pick the trees you want (they're mlods now, remember :)) - copy and paste them into your new folder - JUST the .p3d models themselves...

* Run MoveFolder

*Set "Destination" to that new folder (ie: P:\YourTag\My_Trees_Pack)

* Tick the "Move CA/A3" box (it's now gonna look on P:\ for a CA folder and - it'll find one! :))

*Click - "Crunch from P3d content" - wait 15 seconds....

* You're done!

The Mighty Mikero's Magical Movetool will search the models for paths to textures and rvmats - go to that location in P:\CA and fetch them, dump them in a data folder in your new pack, then repath all internal rvmat references to this new location, then repath all internal references within each model to their new texture & rvmat locations - no further work required...

(Done manually, the same job would take 15 minutes or more per model!)

Now you can add those models - from that new location - to Terrain Builders template library and use them on a terrain...

Technically, this will be a separate addon so it needs a config, even though plants generally don't...

This will do - edit the name, save as "config.cpp" and drop it in the trees pack main directory beside the models

class CfgPatches
{
 class my_trees_pack
 {
   units[] = {};
   weapons[] = {};
   requiredAddons[] = {};
 };
};

When you pack your island to go in-game - pack that folder too - as a separate addon pbo, and drop it in the same modfolder...

B

or this for Buildings:

Bushlurker:

For something tricky like "buildings" I do a 2 stage process to catch the stuff that isn't in the config

like above...

Make a folder - P:\YourTag\My_Buildings

Go to P:\CA\Buildings - copy all models - paste them in your new buildings folder

Run MoveFolder

Set "Destination" to that new folder

Tick the "Move CA" box

Click - "Crunch from P3d content"

all models now have their assets & rvmats and they're all repathed...

Then I go back to MoveFolder

Set the "SourceConfig" path to P:\CA\Buildings

Click "Crunch from config"

this basically just does the same job over again, so no harm done - the bonus being that those models which WEREN'T mentioned in the config are already present, and already done

The other bonus being - if you now look in P:\YourTag\My_Buildings you'll find an at least partially repathed config which is a handy start

If you're only wanting to grab a few models from that folder then again - a combination of one or the other or both methods should get all the material transferred with at most, some config work left to be done

Just copied unpacked the "plants_e.pbo" and moved it into my a3 folde on the p:drive. i can use and place the objects without an error,

but they have a black or white texture. dont get any error so far. is there allready a way to fix this?

Yes you can't just copy an unpack a2 folder into a3 and place and expect it to work. You need to follow 19ths advise above on how to move p3ds with move folder. However it should be noted that certain object have new featured in a3. For instance buildings now have a physx Lod. Which handles ragdoll effects and also thrown objects.

Also just moving the p3ds to one of your project folder may not be good enough because the config file and model config may need updating as well. So be careful how you choose to do it.