Sign in to follow this  
dburke87

Connection Failed after Headless Client Installation

I got my headless client setup and working fine. I run both the dedicated server and the dedicated client on the same full-box dedicated machine, and run several pairs of servers and dedicated clients on it as well. To finally get the thing working, among numerous other tricky things and changes, I had to remove the -ip=x.x.x.x startup parameter from my servers. I have no idea why, but after changing everything else, that was the final change that got the dedicated clients to actually connect to the server. Problem is, now my servers don't show up in the ArmA3 (GameSpy) server browser for more than half of my players, and out of those that can see it, some get a connection failed message when trying to join. Nothing else, just simply 'connection failed'. People are also reporting seeing pings of 2500 in the server browser, and remote connection seems to work for some, and not work for others.

I also tested to see if this issue was a direct consequence of removing the -ip= parameter. First I left everything as is with the -ip param still removed, but did not boot up my headless clients. No joy. Then I added back in the -ip= param, and all players could freely join again, whether or not I started up the headless clients. Of course, with the -ip tag back in, the headless clients never connected. I tried turning my firewall off, changing rules, etc.. No luck.

A little context:

I run a full-box, unmanaged dedi from NFO Servers

Windows Server 2012 R2

Running the dedicated server branch for the two servers and the normal client with -client for the HCs

Steam is running and signed in

I assigned the 1st server to ports 2300-2305, and the 2nd to 2310-2315

I have a total of 5 IPs assigned to this machine, and I was originally using the -ip= param to bind the game to a single IP

If there's any more information I can provide, please let me know. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Random guesses:

Do you have unique Steam ports defined for each server (not sure about HC might need unique ports there too)

For the 2500 ping have your users run EVERYTHING as admin (steam, arma, etc) - sounds crazy but I've read that this can be the problem

(also from Terox):

2500ms ping is caused by the server firewall not accepting incoming ICMP packets