Sign in to follow this  
xendance

Adding and multiplying terrain height doesn't work

Now that I have finally managed to get buldozer and pbo packing working, I noticed that the elevation range of my map is completely wrong. So I looked at visitor 4 manuals and used the terrain editing tool to add/subtract from the whole heightmap.

Here's a screen before adding -2200 to the elevation: http://i.imgur.com/JbnCIG6.png

Here's after the operation: http://i.imgur.com/aOC3YTF.png

As you can see, the it worked mostly fine, but for some weird reason some parts in the northern part of the map were unaffected. I've double checked that I selected the whole terrain before using the operation (4096^2 is my heightmap and you can see the amount of selected vertices is correct).

This is the visitor 4 manual I mentioned: https://manuals.bisimulations.com/vbs2/2-00/devref/Default.htm#VisitorNG/Heightmap_Editing_V4.htm%3FTocPath%3D6%20Terrain%20Manual%7C_____15

I think you might want to rethink this procedure a little...

From your first "before" pic - your height ranges are...

Lowest point on map = 2.2km above sea level

Highest point on map = 11.8km above sea level

(your highest mountain peak is approx 3km taller than Mount Everest!!!)

After the operation...

Lowest point on map = 14 meters above sea level

Are you absolutely sure that's what you intended to do? and, are you absolutely sure about that overall height range???, it's - literally - Out of this World....

B

I think you might want to rethink this procedure a little...

From your first "before" pic - your height ranges are...

Lowest point on map = 2.2km above sea level

(your highest mountain peak is approx 3km taller than Mount Everest!!!)

After the operation...

Lowest point on map = 14 meters above sea level

Are you absolutely sure that's what you intended to do? and, are you absolutely sure about that overall height range???, it's - literally - Out of this World....

B

I'm trying to modify the height range so that it is within "normal" limits (0-120 meters about).

1. Bring the whole range down so that lowest point is near 0 meters.

2. Multiply by 0.01

Simple. Problem is that somehow it doesn't work for all terrain vertices even though they're selected.

I did say in the first post that the elevation range is completely out of whack.

Edited by Xendance

I gotta ask, did you even read what I first posted?

Blur-read in a hurry... sorry... :)

Suggest you use L3DT for this sort of heightmap operation - it's much more controllable... the Heightfield > Operations > Adjust Vertical Range option gives a visual histogram type readout (with "sea level" indicator where relevant), and easy max/min controls...

Easy enough to export from TB - import to L3DT & Tweak - Export and Import again...

Since it's a 4096 heightmap, the L3DT standard freebie edition won't do, but if you don't have L3DT already, you can ask - and be sent an immediate 3 month serial for - the full unrestricted Pro edition which will handle 4096 with ease....

B

Yea I did so. Didn't use L3DT though, but still. I had accidentally exported the arc ASCII file with centimeter elevation scale, which multiplied the height by 100 upon importing into terrain builder. Exported a new ASCII with meter elevation scale and it came through ok.

Blur-read in a hurry... sorry... :)

No worries, I didn't explicitly say what I was going to do anyway ;)