Sign in to follow this  
Rotor

Broken, garbled von chat from other players

Hello,

I played my first VON-enabled game today (I have Roger Wilco installed), and while everyone could hear me just find, I could not understand their speaking as it was garbled and broken to sound like a broken robot. I've used RW before, as well as HL in-game chat, and never had a problem. Anyone know whats going on and how I can fix it?

My sound card is a SB PCI128, btw.

Thanks!

Mike

Do you have the latest drivers for the card? The site for Microsoft's GameVoice says that the PCI128 is full-duplex and compatible with their voice program, but that new drivers may be needed to get it to work -- Roger Wilco may have the same requirement.

Also, how much network bandwidth do you have available, and how much is being used?

Thanks for the reply Mr. Frag,

I'll download the latest drivers today. Mine are pretty new (newest from 2-3 months ago), but that could be an issue.

I have cable internet, clocked at 3200kbps down and around 300kbps up. I had nothing but OFP running when I played and I had around a 150ms ping.

I've got another question... what I understand is that OFP will use whatever VON program you have installed to communicate with other players, and I have RW installed... could the other players have had a different program installed (causing a conflict) and/or could RW be inferior to other programs? Or maybe the server was just too far away from me?

Any additional help appreciated,

Mike

OFP will only use the built-in VON capability provided by DirectPlay. Thus, if you use the socket implementation in V1.75 (Resistance), you HAVE to use a third-party VON program.

All players wanting to communicate must use the same VON program, so if some use Roger Wilco and some use TeamSpeak, they will not be able to talk to each other.

The thing is Malbouef, I'm playing on a server that just happens to have VON enabled, I didn't choose it. I just would rather be able to hear them legibly and reply without having to type it in. I'd like to fix the problem rather than replace it smile.gif

I'm still waiting for the Sound Blaster driver (220 people in front of me), but I've got a new sound card on my "to buy" list along with a new video card and more ram none the less. If the drivers don't work, I'm not sure what will.

Any other ideas?

Mike

OK heres an update,

I got the new sound card drivers, and it didn't help a bit. I'm virtually unable to play OFP in multiplayer because I have no idea whats going on, and I'd like to figure it out... anyone else have any ideas?

I'm thinking I might be deficient in another category of my system's performance, could this be it? Here are my specs:

Abit KG7

1333mhz Athalon

tnt2 M64 PCI video card

SB PCI128

256mb of PC2100 DDR

IBM 40gb 7200rpm (about 3/5 full)

Am I lacking somewere enough that my voice chat is unable to perform properly?

Any additional help appreciated.

Mike