Sign in to follow this  
stevelad

Adapt your thoughts?

Not enjoying this at the moment, I don't like the idea of commanding AI

1. I think the command system is not simple enough.

2. the AI are only good for cannon fodder, I tell them to engage a target and they don't always or tell them to hold fire and they open up as well as other annoying things.

finding it frustrating having to play these missions as if I'm on my own, why make the mission a commanding roll when the system is floored?

...been this way since 2001, yet you sound surprised. For the past 13 years the poor AI and system performance has been frustrating players from around the globe...and it will not be getting better that much I can say. The good news is that this game's bread & butter has always been terrain size, all types of vehicles, weapons and the ability to complete missions in any way you wish to. Couple that with built-in mission and AI dynamics that change with each run of the mission and you end up with a game that has almost endless re-playability. So...there is some very good, but as you see also some very bad...it is, and will always be a bittersweet experience...yet one that you can not get anywhere else even after all these years.

One word of advice...99% of the missions available are not very good. The mission maker is king in this game...and so you must find the few missions which play the best for YOU and your style. Unfortunately Arma3 content is still sorely lacking after almost a year since the Alpha released...many of the old timers have gone. While Arma3 might take another 2 years to mature....your best bet is probably with Arma 1 & 2...tons of high quality content there.

Hang in there and take the time to really get to know and understand the mechanics of the game...what it does well and what it doesn't...then you'll better understand what sort of missions and addons to look for so you can better enjoy it. This isn't a quick & dirty "have fun game"...it's more of a hobbyists wet dream I suppose.

Edited by BigShot

...been this way since 2001, yet you sound surprised. For the past 13 years the poor AI and system performance has been frustrating players from around the globe...and it will not be getting better that much I can say. The good news is that this game's bread & butter has always been terrain size, all types of vehicles, weapons and the ability to complete missions in any way you wish to. Couple that with built-in mission and AI dynamics that change with each run of the mission and you end up with a game that has almost endless re-playability. So...there is some very good, but as you see also some very bad...it is, and will always be a bittersweet experience...yet one that you can not get anywhere else even after all these years.

One word of advice...99% of the missions available are not very good. The mission maker is king in this game...and so you must find the few missions which play the best for YOU and your style. Unfortunately Arma3 content is still sorely lacking after almost a year since the Alpha released...many of the old timers have gone. While Arma3 might take another 2 years to mature....your best bet is probably with Arma 1 & 2...tons of high quality content there.

Hang in there and take the time to really get to know and understand the mechanics of the game...what it does well and what it doesn't...then you'll better understand what sort of missions and addons to look for so you can better enjoy it. This isn't a quick & dirty "have fun game"...it's more of a hobbyists wet dream I suppose.

So F****** True man. I am, for example, playing a CAMP of ArmA 2 called Blacklands made by Undeceived. It is awesome and makes me forget of the current failure of ArmA 3. Maybe in a year of two, maybe, it will be good.

The command system is good. It can't be more simple, because if it would, the game would be horrible.

dunno... i dont have a problems with it nor do i have dumb AI.... its not 'player' quality, but not really dumb either.

THe command system is simply to use.. really oculdn't be easier, as Cyper said. Just need to remember some numbers... but they've been the same since arma1, so any vet should know by now.

The AI open fire when told to "hold fire" only, in my experience, when they are fired upon. Makes sense. Any logical person would do the same.

If you want the AI to stay close to you and not lag to much behind, and you dont care about how spread out they are - use the 'diamond' formation.

My personal preference is to set "Engage at will" and "Combat" stance - i get good results.