Sign in to follow this  
trackday

What do I need before going MP?

What do I need to do before going MultiPlayer? What is battleye? What do I do to communicate? Do I need any mods? Are any of the mods universally common, essential 'must-have's'. If I die, will I get respawned? I don't even know what questions to ask!

edit: ok, I just googled battleye, I get the idea. Do I need to download this for MP?

What do I need to do before going MultiPlayer? What is battleye? What do I do to communicate? Do I need any mods? Are any of the mods universally common, essential 'must-have's'. If I die, will I get respawned? I don't even know what questions to ask!

edit: ok, I just googled battleye, I get the idea. Do I need to download this for MP?

Well, I believe if you join a server that requires Battle Eye, it will prompt you to download it anyway. I don't use any mods, and for communication most people use the in game voice system, but if you ever find a regular group you play with then they will probably use Teamspeak, Mumble, Ventrillo. Every server is different and every mission is different, just go in, read the rules if any available and pick up on the chatter in game and run with it.

Configure your VOIP keys before playing MP. As in, check Multiplayer section from Arma3's Control settings. You will most likely use Group and Direct channel the most so those might need a separate keys. And rest of the channels you can use thru the VON key and change the channel from the default channel-change-keys (check what those are).

Also if you plan to use Teamspeak or Mumble, especially with the voice activation, then you have to bind Push to Mute in both programs to the keys that you use for voice comms in Arma3 itself so that those in your TS/mumble channel won't hear you voice in double. This is a bit tricky to do in TS but you'll find out from google how to do it. Mumble is pretty straight forward in this.

If you want to try public PvP I recommend that you download and try Tactical Battlefield:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?169645-Tactical-Battlefield-A-PvP-Modification

In TacBF you only have to bind 3 extra keys on top of the normal Arma3 keys but u can use the AI related keys for that cos in TB you don't need most of the vanilla Arma3's commanding keys at all.

Check:

BattleEye will download what it needs automatically. As long as firewall permissions are OK. If you have any Windows come up asking about Firewall rules then 'Allow All' for them.

Communication:

Basic is tying messages using '?' to activate.

There is built-in voice comms which is good. (Look at your key bindings)

3rd party comms such as Mumble / Team Speak.

When you see the list of Servers, each one will be playing a different mission.

Missions vary enormously because ARMA3 is essentially like a construction kit that mission makers can create almost any situation and rules they want.

There are two main types: Co-Op and PvP

Co-Op: Co-Operative means that human players are on one side together and fight the computer AI. There are many types with different goals.

PvP: Players vs Player has many forms but essentially two or more teams of humans fight against each other to complete tasks or just get highest points.

PvP can also include AI soldiers in the mix so you might not be sure who is human or not.

Some popular missions:

Wasteland: Survival PvP. Wander around looking for items/weapons. Be wary of other players who may kill and rob you.

Domination (many versions): Co-Op: Clear towns on the map one at a time using supplied vehicles. Ammo boxes usually have all weapons available. To clear a town one must first destroy a radio tower which allows the enemy AI to call reinforcements. This must usually be done with explosive charges. Then there are 3 outposts that must be captured by standing near them. Most of the enemy force must be destroyed and possibly a secondary objective such as destroying a structure or specific vehicle.

Insurgency: Co-Op: Clear sectors of enemy. Usually this mission uses a script to place enemy inside buildings which means 'house to house' clearing.

Respawn is also handled differently for missions. It can be at base, mobile HQ, Squad-leader, Forward capture point.

Just follow what other people are doing and don't be afraid to ask. Good servers will have players willing to help. If not then got to a different one...

Edited by EDcase

I was gonna say 'Big balls' =)

You don't need mods, most servers don't allow them either.

JSRS works on a couple Coop servers for example. Excellent sounds.

If you find a server you like and you play there often, the server clan/admin will let you know if theres anything you need to get or use.

Just jump in.

1. Patience and (recommended) a nice group to play with.

2. It's a tool for server security

3. In vanilla A3, press Caps Lock and keep it pressed to talk. Keep the different channels in mind (Global, Group, Veh, Side)

4. Mods are optional and it depends on the server. Many servers use a mod sign, so you can only connect when you have certain mods and only these mods. Other allow some and disallow others. It really depends on the server.

5. Patience, discipline

6. Depending on the mission you'll get respawned, yes.

Additional: Don't despair if you don't get it right at the first times. Everyone makes errors, everyone started to play this game. Once you get more clear about the controls and the game itself and you are interested in tactical gaming, I recommend you to read some guides (like Hellingers great Guide or others found at communities like UnitedOperations or ShackTac) and get some training from the great trainers at certain communities.

Sorry M8 for jumping on your post but I have some ques before I get Arma 3! Iv played Arma 2 witch I had a real hard time getting into because the only type of game I could get in was police type where we drove around arresting people hated it, but Iv always loved watching the video's of the game play.

Ques:

1) When gearing up your soldier(dressing him) with the uniform/gear and weapons does that look stay with you on the battlefield? is it saved?

2) When I want to play MP and the only type I want to play is soldier vs soldier in battles. what type of game should I look for?

Thank you for your time.