Sign in to follow this  
Gunship -OFP-ZONE-

New mg3 from dkm-mod released!

Yeah its cool, but there´s one small problem with the recoil, its too big, the soldier looks funny when standing up and shooting, he kinda flickers back and forth, and it looks wierd.

The strong recoil is necessary to force the ppl a bit to lay down, irl mg3 cannot be fired while standing. And there is no command that allows to define different recoils for a weapon for prone and standing.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Rastavovich @ Sep. 04 2002,21:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The strong recoil is necessary to force the ppl a bit to lay down, irl mg3 cannot be fired while standing. And there is no command that allows to define different recoils for a weapon for prone and standing.<span id='postcolor'>

in reality no machine gun can properly be fired while standing

m60 can be fired from shoulder, even if you want hit to much, I saw once a documentary over vietnam where a m60 gunner blew its ammo belt in the bush. Of course without aiming.

We tried to make it a bit more realistic so we made an recoil that really can shake a man:)

In reality a soldier firing the MG3 standing from the shoulder would just fall over...as this cant happen to OpF-soldiers they look a bit...shakadelic... biggrin.gif

Great model looks really cool. But found some things to look at.

-You just forgot one part or made it to small. on the right side of the weapon theres a handle i dont know the name of it. Its used to load the first cartridge into the chamber. I cant see if thats the thing you have one the model really close to the box mag. or if its just a part of the box mag. If it is it should be a little bigger and more out from the weapon.

You can see it here on the left side of the picture

Also look here to see size of it is the part on the right side in the middle

-Also the sound is totally wrong. Not even close to how it sound real life. The sound thats on the MG3 from Fortress-ofp's MG pack is the real life sound.

-And last you forgot ammo name on the ingame ammo counter.

-About the recoil maybe lower it a bit. Because the way it is now it also makes it to hard to hit when lying down and in real life its very effective when lying down.

Keep up the good work.

What happend to the field gun??

The cocking lever is there, also on the right position... wink.gif

About the sound one can argue, I find it better than all the other sounds as the one from the fortress pack is the one from Dod which is in mine opinion totally wrong.

We put a soundsample of a real MG3/42 firing on our hp.

Thats like it should sound...and thats quite close to our sound.

grrrrrreetz

[76]Chavez

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (B@ZOOkA @ Sep. 04 2002,21:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">in reality no machine gun can properly be fired while standing<span id='postcolor'>

Hmmm i can name a few that can biggrin.gif

-M60E (Special version with front handle)

-FN minimi / SAW (tried it and was hitting targets easy)

Also would think that all modern day 5.56mm MG/LMG can be shot from a shoulder posistion.

Also would think it would be possible to shot standing with the MG3 if it wasnt so damn heavy (11.5kg) and long (1.22m) biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote ([76]Chavez @ Sep. 04 2002,23:18)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The cocking lever is there, also on the right position... wink.gif

About the sound one can argue, I find it better than all the other sounds as the one from the fortress pack is the one from Dod which is in mine opinion totally wrong.

We put a soundsample of a real MG3/42 firing on our hp.

Thats like it should sound...and thats quite close to our sound.

grrrrrreetz

[76]Chavez<span id='postcolor'>

Hmmm try looking at the pictures i put in and you will see that the lever is about 5cm out from the weapon and you can hardly see it on yours.

For the sound. I can only guess you havent heard it real life or even fired it because the sound from DoD is how it sounds real life. And how do i know. Well i have shot a around 10-15.000 rounds with it  tounge.gif and would think that everyone that have shot or heard it would agree with me.

the sound from dod is not totally wrong... but due to the fact that dod is mainly a first person und short range shooter, it sounds a bit too heavy from far away in ofp i think.... it just fits very well in dod

the best mg3/42 sound for ofp actually is the bw ones (in my eyes)... its a less heavy compared to the dod one but creates a good atmosphere in long range battles

I am a career serviceman and I also fired a lot as I was MG3-gunner wink.gif (I even went swimming with it smile.gif )

It isnt possible to fire the mg3 from the shoulder but from the hip IMHO

I let a friend of mine who gave MG3-training for NCOs hear a lot of samples and he disliked the DoD-sound too and was pro the sound which is in game now.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote ([76]Chavez @ Sep. 04 2002,23:33)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I am a career serviceman and I also fired a lot as I was MG3-gunner wink.gif    (I even went swimming with it  smile.gif  )

It isnt possible to fire the mg3 from the shoulder but from the hip IMHO

I let a friend of mine who gave MG3-training for NCOs hear a lot of samples and he disliked the DoD-sound too and was pro the sound which is in game now.<span id='postcolor'>

Guess you didnt wear any ear proctection then since you cant hear that your choice its totallly off  tounge.gif  tounge.gif

Not to affend you or anything but i just listened too it again but the sound you picked sounds like a plane gun from a 2nd grade plane sim

Maybe your ear protection muffled the sound when you fired wink.gif

Did you fire live ammo or just blanks?Also the surrounding makes a difference...

And is the MG62 a real MG3 or is it modified like the MG74?

grrrrreetz

[76]Chavez

I have fired live and blanks. Fired at shooting ranges and country side, valleys, fighting village. From bipods, tripods and Turret. Even fired at a burnt out T-34 in bosnia  biggrin.gif And i wasnt even MG gunner. And believe they all where version 62

For info i also fired these:

HK G3

Sig Neuhauser

M16

M16 with M203

M4

SAW

Diemaco C7

AT-4

Carl Gustaf Dysekanon (training, AT, Smoke, light)

M9 beretta

AK 47

MP M45

Edit

Ups forgot flare gun hehe

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Maybe your ear protection muffled the sound when you fired <span id='postcolor'>

Nah then it would have sounded like yours wink.gif

i said it before and say it again: if you dont like it, leave it.

we are a group of people that do this for a hobby and GIVE you these addons for free!

We are happy with the gun as it is, if you find a real bug, let me know and we'll fix it.

Discussions about what should or should not be the real sound are quite futile since the fire sound it makes came from a sample recording of the real thing. Also its firing frequency is according to the real r.o.f.

since ofp doesnt have a lead-in and lead out routine to its gunfire sound and since this is an automatic weapon that loops the sound a lead in/out could not be made.

Now you go and try to fit a single shot sound into a 0.05 sec time period that will sound better than the one that is in the mg3 now.

You will learn to appreciate the sound and the recoil etc and will learn to fear that sound if you hear it coming from your enemy. (chances are that you will be dead before the sound reaches you)

Also there is the matter of balance in the game, if you lower the recoil on this thing, what do you think will happen?

have you tested this gun from "the other side" yet? i mean, did you test it on the "bullet receiving" side?

If you do you will experience some real pain if the mg3 gunner spots you before you can kill him with your sniper, because thats probably the only way to take out the mg3 gunner, people with unscoped weapons will not be able to kill him fast enough and are dead met. minced meat that is.

I like the model. While I can agree the sound doesnt "sound" (pardon the pun) as realistic as you make it out to be, I appreciate the model and your efforts. The Mg3, whether it be done by The bw-mod or yourselves, is a nice addition to the arsenal of ofp by leaps and bounds. If a comparison is made between the two (which is bound to happen, since their both quite good models of the same weapon) I would say that your first person view of the mg3 seems to be a bit better where as the recoil and sound of the Bw-mod is more to my liking. Recording sounds in .005 seconds in a loop is hard, i agree, as ive had my hassles of editing them, but the bw-mod and satchel seem to have found a way around it, as the ROF of the mg3 in the bwmod far surpasses 600 rpm and has a distinct report noticable after firing. Dont take any of my statements the wrong way, however- I think this is your best weapon model yet, with the p-90 coming in a close second. You might want to consider moving the p90 forward in the first person view: it would screw up the hand placement, yes, but since your rarely looking at your firing hand anyways it wouldnt matter to much imo.

now all we need is to mount that monster on a helicopter and I am in business! tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">We are happy with the gun as it is, if you find a real bug, let me know and we'll fix it.<span id='postcolor'>

Well it kinda started as a bug thread with 4 things.

-Ammo name missing ("REAL" bug)

-Recoil

-Cocking lever (I will call it a model bug since it isnt in the right dimensions. Also posted links to pictures that supports my feedback)

-Sound (Maybe not a thing you call a bug, but i do)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">i said it before and say it again: if you dont like it, leave it.<span id='postcolor'>

Well i really like the model (exept the thing about the cocking lever) but think its sad that all the model got the sound dont.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">After hearing the public's comments/bugreports, we'll fix the bugs and possibly build their comment in the vehicles.<span id='postcolor'>

This is taken from your site. And since im not the only one seeing/hearing this.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">the sound from dod is not totally wrong... <span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">While I can agree the sound doesnt "sound" (pardon the pun) as realistic as you make it out to be<span id='postcolor'>

This might not be me hearing stuff  smile.gif

Think this might be the problem. you said that you had a real MG3 sound and shortend it down to a single shot stream. Think that might have ruined it. But there really isnt any reason to cut it down to a single shot since in real life its possible but very hard to only fire one shot. I know that MG 3 gunners in the danish army are trained to only fire 3 shot bursts, and that takes some training because of the high rate of fire. So maybe if you tried taking a stream with say 3 or 4 shots (and maybe also let the gun fire 3-4 shot pr. click) it will sound better.

EDIT:

This is not to downgrade or bitch about your addon, if i wanted to do that i would just have said it sucked or something like that and as said before i really like the model. All i did was give some fair feedback/critismn and a request to make some small correction that will make it even better.  smile.gif  smile.gif and im not alone about that thought

First to start this i will say again i really really like your model so dont go get mad at me wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">have you tested this gun from "the other side" yet? i mean, did you test it on the "bullet receiving" side?

If you do you will experience some real pain if the mg3 gunner spots you before you can kill him with your sniper, because thats probably the only way to take out the mg3 gunner, people with unscoped weapons will not be able to kill him fast enough and are dead met. minced meat that is.

<span id='postcolor'>

I just played around with it again and tried what you said i should. I placed myself with a AK and then i put 7 guys with your MG3 around 170-200m aways and took some shot above there head to get there attention. And here comes the shock. They cant hit me even though i where standing up. Out of ten tries same distance i where killed once before they ran out of ammo. And if you dont believe me try it yourselfs. Also tried it at smaller ranges around 100m and same thing happend. Also got killed once here, and here comes the funny part, when one of them took the mg3 on his back ran forward with his gun knelled and shot me. Also made a test where i had a hill behind me to see where the shots where hitting. All shots was "pretty" close together, i would say like they should be from a mg, but they where all about 2-4 m above my man. And in a last test i put 10 guys 150m and shot all with the ak standing without getting killed.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> and will learn to fear that sound if you hear it coming from your enemy. (chances are that you will be dead before the sound reaches you)

<span id='postcolor'>

Hmmmm ok tounge.gifwink.gif (read the above) should have placed ballons around myself. Would have been a great circus act (sorry couldnt resist)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Also there is the matter of balance in the game, if you lower the recoil on this thing, what do you think will happen?

<span id='postcolor'>  

Hmmmm the AI player will start hitting something?? I can only guess that the test you did where with a another player.

Conclusion of test

- Really Great MG3 Model

- Small model correction (cocking lever dimensions, look on pictures at earlier post)

- Missing ammo name on ammo counter

- Sound (still sounds wrong in my mind)

- Recoil (if you want ai to be able to control it)

Hope this is something you will look at. This is not and i repeat not meant in a bad way. And as you yourself said on the Goals/plans i quote

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">After hearing the public's comments/bugreports, we'll fix the bugs and possibly build their comment in the vehicles.<span id='postcolor'>

This is the feedback you ask for  smile.gif

Well, to say something to the sound: I don't know how the sound is, when you are shooting the mg3 yourself because I didn't shoot it myself, but I heard it while in the army, and remember that the sound was very short and some type of muffled.

In my opionion the sound is correct and is not that heavy explosion like the HK G3 which kicks your ears!