Sign in to follow this  
-LTac- Imperator

Particle Emissions from Terrain Textures

Hello all you terrain experts, I am working on a new map for the Arma world and I am wondering if you might be able to help me something.

Considering that players are often surrounded by all wonders of particles in the new maps (Stratis and Altis) depending on the type of terrain they are standing on, is this something that is handled independently of the terrain config or something that is handled within it where the definition of materials is handled. I've looked everywhere and can't really find something to this end... also I was wondering if it might be possible to set particle emitters to go off in the distance depending on heightmap / height of terrain and wind-strength. So if wind strength is 0, emission is barely if at all present but if its 100% then it would be blowing a fair bit.

As a thought experiment think a dusty set of hills, a lot like the south of Stratis, when its calm it could be insects and the like that flutter around you, but as the wind picks up dust starts kicking up from the hills and travelling along the ground.

I'm really hoping someone can help me with this, I think this would add a lot of immersion in maps rather than them being flat terrains that dont seem to have too much interaction.

Hi you can do it by

Ambientclass ans surfacetype

see Bis Wiki for surfacetype and Allinoneconfig for Ambientclasses

Thanks Sealife, any word on making particle emissions in the distance by height of terrain and distance from player (or would this have to be a scripted event) ?

Ambient class works on distances so simply create a class in the zone you want and the actual ambient thing be it an invisible square or whatever will allow you to do whatever you like

check the configs to learn more about species and fsms and tie that with surfacetype and all your ingredients are present