Sign in to follow this  
Garmagor

Pop up target hit area display.

Hey everyone.

I've been looking for hours on this.

I've seen some ARMA-2 and ARMA-3 videos on youtube where people are in firing ranges and shoot at targets that give them a display of where they hit their target exactly on a HUD display on the middle top of their screen. I'm building a mission that includes a firing range and would like to include something like that into it. I want to set up a range where the players could test both their reaction time and their aim accuracy on targets that don't pop back up. So far I could find help regarding the targets popping back up with a radio command, but I cant find anything that can display the precise hit location. Those that I did find only display one shot at a time and are thus only good for sniper rifles in my opinion.

Does anyone know what this feature is called? If its even a game feature? Or if its a mod that can be downloaded etc?

Thanks for reading.

Edited by Garmagor

did you find how to keep the target down when hit (specific to ArmA3)?

if you did could you share that tidbit? I can trigger them to start down and then trigger them to pop up, but I could not get the targets to stay down after shot.

I apologize for hijacking your query with one of my own, but it read that you had an answer for my problem of keeping them down.

As for yours, I had not run across an answer, did you try contacting the folk who posted the YouTube videos you saw?

I was able to solve your issue Aaron with the following. First, take the script below and create a .sqf in your mission folder called popuptarget. Place the info below in that script:

/*

File: PopUpTarget.sqf

Author: BIS

Description:

Script to make the pop-up target actually pop back up.

Parameter(s):

_this select 0: the pop-up target object.

*/

private ["_target"];

_target = (_this select 0) select 0;

_target setDamage 0;

scopeName "root";

if ((_target animationPhase "terc") <= 0) then

{

_target animate["terc", 1];

if (!isNil "nopop") then

{

if (nopop) then

{

breakTo "root"

};

};

sleep 3;

if (!isNil "nopop") then

{

if (nopop) then

{

breakTo "root";

};

};

if (alive _target) then

{

_target animate["terc", 0];

};

};

true

Then create a pop up target and put this in the init:

this addEventHandler ["HitPart", "[(_this select 0)] execVM 'PopUpTarget.sqf';"]; 

After or before that, either one, place a trigger somewhere on the map. It should be none for type and radio alpha for activation, then repeatedly. Condition will be "this" and then place the following in the On act. :

Target1 animate ["terc", 0]; targ1 animate ["terc", 0]; hos1 animate ["terc", 0];

Also, create a ini.sqf and put

nopop=true;

in it.

Be sure to name the target itself and use that name in the above code. For example, I have three targets in my test right now named, Target1, targ1 and hos1. You can see how the code works when adding more targets.

Then, after you knock one down, just hit 0, 0, 1 to pop them back up via the radio command.

Okay, I think I got all that right. Hope this helps.

Edited by nukerat

hello nukerat;

Thank you very much, I am going to test that tonight and get back to you. To think I spent 5 hours today looking at other sites and YouTube for the direction to take.

hello nukerat;

Thank you very much, I am going to test that tonight and get back to you. To think I spent 5 hours today looking at other sites and YouTube for the direction to take.

I did the same. I ended up having to use pieces of different posts and my very limited knowledge to get it to work but I think this will do it for you. I even have moving targets using this as well without any problems. If you are not sure where you mission file is: Documents/Arma 3 -Other Profiles/ "your name"/missions. You have to save the mission from the editor first with whatever you want to name it. Then, just create a .sqf file in the mission name folder and paste that first code that is in the spoiler in there. Be sure to save it. Then follow the rest.

Hope this helps and good luck my friend.

hello nukerat;

well, something didn't work for me - when the target is shot, it pop's back up after a few seconds just as the target normally does in ArmA3

attached is the pbo and the un-pbo file I made with the script.

I have two triggers next to signs. when you walk to the first sign, the target lays down, as you walk to the second sign saying "start here" the target pops up. Walking back to the first sign will reset it again.

however, when the target is shot, it just comes back up again instead of staying down. I must have missed something, although your directions were very clear and easy to follow.

<links removed>

oh... sorry about the sound effects, I got a bit bored and had added them as I was piddling around with this.

Edited by AaronSmithee
I removed the links to the examples I had, as they were needed at the time of the post but were removed as we progressed.

hello nukerat;

well, something didn't work for me - when the target is shot, it pop's back up after a few seconds just as the target normally does in ArmA3

attached is the pbo and the un-pbo file I made with the script.

I have two triggers next to signs. when you walk to the first sign, the target lays down, as you walk to the second sign saying "start here" the target pops up. Walking back to the first sign will reset it again.

however, when the target is shot, it just comes back up again instead of staying down. I must have missed something, although your directions were very clear and easy to follow.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r85big6dgabap00/target.Stratis.pbo

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vewu8oai2cscmup/target.Stratis.zip

oh... sorry about the sound effects, I got a bit bored and had added them as I was piddling around with this.

I know what I forgot. In the ini.sqf, create one if you do not have one. Put nopop=true;

well, you must be in "lurk mode" as I didn't expect a response THAT quickly...

I added the init, but sadly, no soap.

<link removed>

If, I am getting bothersome, just pm me to halt, I don't want to put someone off who's offered to help like you have.

Edited by AaronSmithee
link removed after we progressed passed this point

Okay, found you problem, first thing you need to do is move the.....wait, Let me check something else, sry. Be right back.

---------- Post added at 12:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 AM ----------

Okay, first, you did not create a trigger that uses the radio function to call back up the target. Do that first by placing a trigger. This trigger can be anywhere and very small. You do not activate it by walking into it or nothing. Put

Target1 animate ["terc", 0];

in the "on actv" box. Also, none for type and radio alpha for activation at the top.

Then, move the nopop=true; to the top of the ini.sqf script. That will fix it for you. It is what I did to get it to work on your mission. Hope this helps my friend.

---------- Post added at 12:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:39 AM ----------

Forgot to mention that you want the trigger to be set to repeatedly as well.

it works and the targets stay down!

many thanks, nukerat!

here is the updated test map. I had made two lanes, one that is reset with a radio trigger, the other via a "presence" trigger.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/udzpxow8cgqb41i/target_test.Stratis.zip

Edited by AaronSmithee
added updated test map