Sign in to follow this  
HJohnson

Character Animation : Weapon Armature Parent

Hello, I have been trying to figure out how to animate properly for Arma 3. I am currently using the blender -> .bvh export method. However, I have run into a problem. I am currently unable to manipulate the weapon bone for animation.

As it stands, the weapon bone is parented to the first spine bone of the character. Now in Blender, you can move the weapon bone freely as it is parented but not connected. Exporting as a bvh automatically connects bones to their parents. So even though I had animated the weapon bone into the hands of the character, it moved back to it's original spot and only did the rotations. I attempted to unparent the bone, but O2 WILL NOT import .bvh motion capture files with bones that are not parented. Then I tried parenting the weapon bone to the hand. Once again, the weapon bone appeared to be animated, but 1 foot away from where it should be. On top of that, when I moved into Arma 3 to test the config. I noticed that the opposite is true in Arma. the hand is parented and "stuck" to the weapon in arma 3. You cannot take your right hand off of the weapon. So even though I had animated the arm in blender and the weapon in blender. The weapon stayed still yet the arm attempted to move but was pinned down to the static weapon bone. I've also attempted making the weapon have it's own "arm" of sorts coming out of the main spine, however it makes it EXTREMELY difficult to pin point place.

TLDR:

• Trying to animate
  • Weapon bone will not move if parented to spine
  • Weapon bone will not place itself accurately if parented to hand armature
  • In game, arm is parented to the gun. Cannot be animated on it's own, yet cannot move the gun

Anyone have any ideas? Any BI employees shed some light on what the rig should contain in order to properly manipulate the weapon and launcher bones?