Sign in to follow this  
sproyd

Sidearms in holsters - are we getting it?

Two points:

1. Community's role in the feedback tracker should be to push tickets they want to see happen. The debate for the community should be whether or not a feature should be included in Arma or should it not be (i.e. is the feature valid in Arma?). The dev's role is to judge whether or not it is worth it to implement that feature and how much they think it would benefit the game. With that in mind, I dislike the general tone of the community where we express ideas like this: "xyz feature is difficult to implement so we should not do it". This argument is neither useful to the devs nor does it contribute to the discussion. A discussion with some actual benefits worth discussing would be something like: "should aircraft and jet simulation be made more realistic?" This kind of topic can actually be debated in terms of realism vs gameplay effects and maybe a compromise can be made to improve both. A topic like this one would have been more productive if the community simply said, yes pistols should be displayed in holsters and left it up to the devs to figure out how, when and if it should happen. With that said, I do appreciate DM's explanation and I do not believe he tried to explain why it would be hard to do, not why it should not be done.

2. Regarding leg holsters in general, I think the idea itself is completely valid. However, if the devs truly could/would not do it, then they should remove the leg holsters from the models. This is a pretty good example of "simulation fever" that jay crowe talked about in one of his videos. Why create a feature that purposely breaks the immersion of the game? When crafting this feature, the devs should have thought of the uses cases. If a player A sees another player B with an empty leg holster, player A is going to assume that player B does not have a pistol. When suddenly player B performs some strange animation and a pistol appears in his hands, this is immersion breaking. The simple development solution would have been to not implement leg holster models in the first place and avoid the situation entirely until the solution to displaying pistols in the holster was available.

I really hope we get this. Either that or remove the holster. I'd be okay with "generic pistol model in holster that appears/disappears" as well, if nothing else.

My vote also is to just remove the holsters completely from all vests until the problem is fixed. As said before a generic pistol in the holster is an issue if it stays in the holster when you draw the pistol or is there when you don't have a pistol.

I think the holster issue needs to be looked at like an Item like the NVGs. When pistol slot is full and pistol not in hand the weapon is rendered in the holster (if applicable) and when in hand it is not rendered. The NVGs do something similar. Even if you use a generic holster model for all pistols.

Edited by Cannon_Fodder121

Are you guys seriously debating and getting into a fuss over a part of the game that is still WIP and that BI hasn't gotten around to working on yet? They have an enormous list of things to do, and it takes time to do them all.

And you guys are calling on BI to remove the holster because they have not gotten around to working on this yet? Seriously?

Community's role in the feedback tracker should be to push tickets they want to see happen. The debate for the community should be whether or not a feature should be included in Arma or should it not be (i.e. is the feature valid in Arma?). The dev's role is to judge whether or not it is worth it to implement that feature and how much they think it would benefit the game. With that in mind, I dislike the general tone of the community where we express ideas like this: "xyz feature is difficult to implement so we should not do it". This argument is neither useful to the devs nor does it contribute to the discussion. A discussion with some actual benefits worth discussing would be something like: "should aircraft and jet simulation be made more realistic?" This kind of topic can actually be debated in terms of realism vs gameplay effects and maybe a compromise can be made to improve both. A topic like this one would have been more productive if the community simply said, yes pistols should be displayed in holsters and left it up to the devs to figure out how, when and if it should happen. With that said, I do appreciate DM's explanation and I do not believe he tried to explain why it would be hard to do, not why it should not be done.

Disagree. If I were to go by this... well of course I want all teh things! I think there is some level of prioritization required by the community. For example: sure pistols in holsters would be great why would anyone not want it... but I would much rather have wounds that actually appear on the body where they were inflicted rather than the generic wound texture. Thus I should communicate that. In the case of the feedback tracker, that means one gets my vote, the other doesn't. Because if BIS finds that both take the same resources and they only have resources for one, well I don't want to give them the impression that I want both equally.

I could go on the feed back tracker and vote up the majority of the issues, but I think that would be pointless because it doesn't give BIS a good idea of what I really want. My opinion of course. Of course that's ideally speaking, in reality I am pretty sure the ease of implementation is more important than the number votes, community outcry or how much I rage quit...

Anyway regarding pistols and holsters, I never even really noticed it until you guys mentioned it - well I saw it but I never actually was bothered by it enough to actually see it as a problem. Suffice to say, honestly speaking, I could care less if it is or isn't implemented (I don't mean that to be "hostile", I understand why some want it, I just don't share that desire at all). thus I am sure you can guess whether I will be touching that ticket.

Are you guys seriously debating and getting into a fuss over a part of the game that is still WIP and that BI hasn't gotten around to working on yet? They have an enormous list of things to do, and it takes time to do them all.

And you guys are calling on BI to remove the holster because they have not gotten around to working on this yet? Seriously?

Actually, the OP was asking if they even were going to work on it. We don't know that this is even on their list at all.

Each handgun has its own holster. For this to be implemented, holsters would have to be connected to each handgun, i.e. when you picked up an hand gun the corresponding holster would be added. Basically it would require an overhaul, not just inserting the hand gun into the empty holster.

Disagree. If I were to go by this... well of course I want all teh things! I think there is some level of prioritization required by the community. For example: sure pistols in holsters would be great why would anyone not want it... but I would much rather have wounds that actually appear on the body where they were inflicted rather than the generic wound texture. Thus I should communicate that. In the case of the feedback tracker, that means one gets my vote, the other doesn't. Because if BIS finds that both take the same resources and they only have resources for one, well I don't want to give them the impression that I want both equally.

I could go on the feed back tracker and vote up the majority of the issues, but I think that would be pointless because it doesn't give BIS a good idea of what I really want. My opinion of course. Of course that's ideally speaking, in reality I am pretty sure the ease of implementation is more important than the number votes, community outcry or how much I rage quit...

Anyway regarding pistols and holsters, I never even really noticed it until you guys mentioned it - well I saw it but I never actually was bothered by it enough to actually see it as a problem. Suffice to say, honestly speaking, I could care less if it is or isn't implemented (I don't mean that to be "hostile", I understand why some want it, I just don't share that desire at all). thus I am sure you can guess whether I will be touching that ticket.

Well you may find yourself upvoting everything but not everyone does. For instance, I might find myself upvoting something to turn off 3rd person view in everything except recruit difficulty but that doesn't mean everyone will. Or using your example, more people might want body wounds over pistol holsters and thus that will get more of the votes. My point is not for the community to go through the feedback tracker and look at every ticket and vote on it. Rather instead of downvoting or disagreeing with something because it is difficult, they should choose more worthy topics to argue over. If we kept up with our normal behavior but applied a different thought model to problems, we'd get a lot more useful discourse. The feedback tracker as a whole is for people to express what they want and the devs will get the aggregate. The priority is still up to the devs depending on available resources and feasibility as well as their perceived benefit to the game. Like I said, the devs job is not to accomplish every item on the tracker, merely to use it as a tool to understand the community wants better.