Sign in to follow this  
Scorpio

How to skin your models in o2

First of all, you will have to look onto Vixer's skinning tutorial here.

Ok, so you got a basic understanding on how to actually apply the textures there.

You may encounter problems and errors in O2 though.

Step 1: First of all, you have to make a texture of course, such as in Paintshop Pro. When you have made it, you then export it in .gif .tga or jpeg format and in a necessary resolution, 128x128, 256x256, 512x512, and so on. The resolution reaches up to 1024x1024 pixels, but i would recommend you keep your textures at 512x512 pixels to save the texture size.

I would also recommend you use .gif for textures, .tga may look blurry in OFP at different LOD's. But you can always use .tga for transparent textures.

Step 2: Follow Vixer's skinning tutorial, and when you get to the point where you press B, for Background mapping, keep the model part that you have skinned selected, and go to Face Properties. There you will see the faces of your model, and its assigned texture. The prefix/directory, by default, is "data\". You will have to change that to your addon .pbo name.

For Example:

I have made an addon, and my pbo name is called: SPC_ADDON.pbo.

Now when i skin my model, and go to Face Properties, and the texture directory is: data\texture.paa (the texture is automatically converted to .paa or .pac)

I have to change the "data\texture.paa" to "SPC_ADDON\texture.paa"

Step 3:

Open up Texview (if you dont have it, download it here) and open your texture. Then, save it as .paa in your pbo folder.

You are ready to see the finished result in OFP now smile.gif

I'm not really sure if this is the easiest way to texture models, but correct me if there is another way. smile.gif

I havnt exactly went into Gizmo Mapping for the time being, if anybody knows anything about it, feel free to post here.

How to get textures in OFP by your mapped .3ds file.

When you import your 3ds file, you will have in the Face Properties, the textures already specified. But one thing you need to do is:

Again, save the textures as .paa into your addon folder, and also in the Face Properties, respecify your Addon folder directory from "data\" to "youraddon.pbo"

Question: When I import a new texture for my new scorpion tank (Tga File) I'll get the error:

Cannot convert D:\MY_ADDON\texture.tga to D:\MY_ADDON\texture.paa.

Answer: It usually happens when one .p3d model is passed onto you by somebody else. It has something to do with the data directory.

I think what would be a solution, is import the model yourself, if you have not already. (I will look into this matter further and come out with the answer)

Question: When I try to load my texture the objektiv says to me : Unable to convert texture, pac2pal error!

Answer: Go to your buldozer folder and copy the 2 files called pac2pal.dll and Pal2PacE.exe to your oxygen directory then run the exe file, restart your computer and then try to load it again.

Question: It still doesnt work.

Answer: Good question smile.gif. Whatever texture you load in O2, it gets saved to your data\ folder for bulldozer. Try making the same texture, but with a different name, or delete the texture from the data\ directory instead. Note: if you have changed the texture prefix in O2 Options, then all the textures will go to that specified directory.

Question: What would you say is the best texture size for skinning?

Answer: You would have to have it as small as possible (to spare the file size, and of course, video card memory), but as big as needed to look good. I would recommend, for a main body of a vehicle, 512x512. But then again, its up to you to choose.

Question: When I preview my textures in OFP, they are darker than what they are supposed to be.

Answer: Select all your model, and press F5 for Recalculating Normals. Do this for each Resolution LOD.

Question: When I look Inside my model in OFP, i see the ground instead of the bottom of the model.

Answer: This is due to O2 not supporting 2 sided polygons. You have to select the model, Ctr+C, Ctr+V, and W.

Question: What would you say is the best way to create textures?

Answer: Well it is best if you get a very good round of photos to skin from, that would make it more realistic, but low-res. However, you can get your hands

on a Photoshop Camo Plugin, so you can make custom textures,

hereand here.

Step 2: Follow Vixer's skinning tutorial here it is

ok here we go!

needed:

M16.p3d

M16.gif

Ok lets check this first!

When you are gone skin for example a M16 make a map where your buldozer is placed like d:/M16

place all your gif tga paa pac file you are gone use to skin the model in there the model also ofcourse

also make sure your directory options are standing good

skin12.jpg

When oxygen has been installed and configured correct we can go skin the model.

Zoom in on the magazine

skin1.jpg

Selectskin9.jpg to select the points of the side you want to skin.

skin2.jpg

Now we take the right view

skin3.jpg

Press "A" or skin10.jpg and select the area where the picture has to show up

skin4.jpg

click right mouse button and load the file M16_mag.gif now again right click on it and use the horizontal mirror.

skin5.jpg

Move the corners around to make the picture fit on the model

skin6.jpg

Press "B" on your keyboard to paste it on the model, to check if the picture is on the model look here,

background mapping says it has been done.

skin7.jpg

Now load buldozer with skin11.jpg and look at the model how it looks

skin8.jpg

Well done Soldier

Vixer

Thanks go out to BIstudio for the model

You can also use jpeg textures! Its a better idea to use jpeg instead .tga and .gif cause Oxygen texture converter screwes up other formats pretty badly

jpeg turns out to be most undamaged one.

hmm i did not know that lol most of the time when i need to convert somethingthat has to be kept sharp i convert the gif with texview and then in oxygen i map it on the quality stays the same smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Antichrist @ Aug. 27 2002,04:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You can also use jpeg textures! Its a better idea to use jpeg instead .tga and .gif cause Oxygen texture converter screwes up other formats pretty badly

jpeg turns out to be most undamaged one.<span id='postcolor'>

Hmm I didnt know that either, but how do you do it? Do you just load the jpeg texture in O2 or do you convert it to .paa in Texview?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Antichrist @ Aug. 29 2002,10:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The images are not working anymore<span id='postcolor'>

eh?

No, i meant how do you make the jpeg files work? i mean O2 doesnt support jpeg files.

You can use jpeg textures when you import from 3ds, and only use baseline comression for those textures, o2 doesn't work with progressive comression.