Sign in to follow this  
quantenfrik

Artillery ballistics/low angle?

so i've played a bit with the m4 scorcher, and found out when using the artillery computer it always takes the high angle, which takes much longer and is way more inaccurate.

i know it's possible to aim manually with pgup/down, but there is no information available for the angles, so it's basicly try and error...

does someone know the way arma 3 calculates the balistic trajectories? like some kind of formula that takes the distance, altitude difference and the kind of fire type (close, medium etc) and gives out the correct angle? guess that's how the ballistic calculator ingame works, but i haven't found an explanation of it on the internet.

i also suck at programming and dont really have the time to dig through all the modules to find some code i dont understand, so any help would be higly appreciated :)

Mhm, modern arty should also be able to calculate their shots in a way all those shots would hit all at the same time, instead of just one after the other in a 2-3 second interval. For example the first shot, being the longest one is fired and right after that the turret changes the angle to a lower position before firing the next one, resulting in that shot catching up with the first one in order to land with it at the same time.

Think it might be actually possible to pull it off with what's already in-game, but for really short distances as you can't aim where you can't see, but it would be nice to see to have that in the arty computer too.

There are only 2 possible angle solutions to hit the same spot, any more requires a different amount of propellant between rounds so the muzzle speed is different thus the different flight time. This is handled in Arma with different distance setting (close, semi, far etc..)

But the displayed angle solution only shows the higher arc angle. There could be another one, maybe enabled with artillery computer, that calculates the low arc angle and allows direct fire and much lower flight time.

I guess BIS might not implement this because it could make mobile artillery units damn deadly against infantry. Just imagine firing cluster rounds with Scorcher from 2km with line of sight to target and just a few seconds of flight time. It would be devastating. At least now the target has time to move after the first hit and very hard for artillery operator to predict where to they'll move.

Edited by Greenfist