Sign in to follow this  
Lucky44

Arma 3 and Large Player Group Coop - possible?

(I looked for similar threads and didn't find any. If that was a search problem, I apologize.)

I want to start by saying I'm a fan of BIS and of Arma 3. My group (TAW.net) is struggling to transition from Arma 2 to Arma 3. We've gone from having up to 60 players in a mission to having to cut that in half in order to play on Stratis, and I won't try running on the gorgeous, cool Altis map with more than 12 players (for a coop mission with 100+ AI at once). I'm not the biggest tech expert, but I understand pretty well how to optimize missions for MP coop. (My most recent mission, Island Shield, ran well for about 25 players, on Stratis.)

It seems clear that BIS has pushed aside consideration for large player groups for now. I've heard rumors that the engine uses a new approach that just isn't going to work well for large coop missions, but that BIS is kind of stuck with it now. So is there any hope for getting Altis optimized so that we could run MP missions like we have in Takistatn or Chernarus? Is there any guestimate on when that would be?

We're at the point of wondering whether we should be sticking with Arma 2 still, so any solid intel will be helpful.

Not sure what server specs you are using but I play with a community and just last Saturday we had a blast (30 player slot mission). If your server is struggling might be time to upgrade.

Another example is all the servers playing Invade and Annex etc... They are 40 player slot COOP missions and as long as you pick a good server and the mission is properly optimised then there isn't a problem.

Edited by dale0404

Another example is all the servers playing Invade and Annex etc... They are 40 player slot COOP missions and as long as you pick a good server and the mission is properly optimised then there isn't a problem.

that's funny, because I could never find a server that wouldn't lag as hell when almost full. red chain, desync, AI running on a spot, vehicles teleporting... I just figured A3 isn't built for current generation of servers that are usually being loaned out to clans/people. maybe in a year or two...

that's funny, because I could never find a server that wouldn't lag as hell when almost full. red chain, desync, AI running on a spot, vehicles teleporting... I just figured A3 isn't built for current generation of servers that are usually being loaned out to clans/people. maybe in a year or two...

Sorry mate, there are plenty of public servers running those type of missions without any issues.

ahoyworld servers for example are almost always full and run quite smoothly.

Sorry mate, there are plenty of public servers running those type of missions without any issues.

I'm not trying to fight with anyone, just get to the facts. First, the point is that performance is not good in Arma 3 compared to Arma 2. It's problematic if you don't have a very good computer. And it's worst on Altis. No one reasonable will deny that.

We ran over 40 players in our public server on Taki Domi with strong performance. We've run 60 in private coop missions with 200+ AI in Arma 2.

As for your details, Dale, I've seen I&A servers on Stratis that ran pretty well with 30 people. Getting 40 gets irregular performance, in my experience and those I talk to. Getting 30 players on Altis I&A is asking for trouble, from every test I've done. If you have a server that is running an Altis coop mission with 40+ players and a bunch of AI (like I&A or Insurgent Occupation), please point us all to them! Give them credit!

Hi Lucky, neither am I trying to start a fight...

But just look at the post above yours to answer your question. And there are more servers out there running 40 player COOP missions just as good.

Hi Lucky, neither am I trying to start a fight...

But just look at the post above yours to answer your question. And there are more servers out there running 40 player COOP missions just as good.

With respect, Dale, the only server I see named is Ahoy World. When I played on one of their servers a couple weeks ago, with about 40 people, the performance was not good. It was OK for a little while, then it would get laggy (or desyncy) and things would rubber band around, AI would get shot 6 times and take 3 seconds to die, etc.

Are there other servers using an Altis mission that have better performance with high player counts? (That aren't playing Wasteland or Island Life) -Please give names. If anyone hosts one, please let me know. I'd like to know what your server FPS is like with 40 players on Altis.

Thanks!