Sign in to follow this  
UltimateBawb

3D Armor Periscopes (Not a repost)

So after being disappointed with seeing no fully modeled interiors, I've noticed that many tanks in A3 actually have transparent periscopes . If BIS could place a simple camera behind these already transparent periscopes and allow a very limited amount of free look (+-45 degrees X, +-10 degrees Y), armor would be much more amazing. Interiors don't matter as much as the simulation of actual optics, gunner stations or other walls may be a waste of time to model, but this simple solution would probably satisfy a lot of people with little effort.

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=12555

I´m still shamelessly advocating this graphics overlay solution. We already have working graphics overlays, why hack around with half-baked 3D interiors that only two (Marid + Panther) vehicles have (And in those, the panther only has it for the commander's station.) vehicles have?

Either go all the way with the interiors, or use a GUI path. But, don't leave it as it is, because it is old and has many specks of dust on it that could be brushed off by expanding the system.

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=12555

I´m still shamelessly advocating this graphics overlay solution. We already have working graphics overlays, why hack around with half-baked 3D interiors that only two (Marid + Panther) vehicles have (And in those, the panther only has it for the commander's station.) vehicles have?

Either go all the way with the interiors, or use a GUI path. But, don't leave it as it is, because it is old and has many specks of dust on it that could be brushed off by expanding the system.

I like the idea and all, but I thinks it's time to switch to 3D rendering even at a basic state. BIS can't keep using 2D overlays for everything. And I suppose you're right about only those APC's having the transparent stations, but I can't image it'd be nearly as difficult as a full interior to add.

My wish list idea was that the armor would have at least three view ports because no armor built today or in the future would have only one and you can even see three view ports from the outsides of the vehicles. I don't mind that it shows specs of dust and what not because in reality they get dirty pretty quickly. Once again though this is the future...so my ideal model would be this... Technology and redundancy...

The periscope viewports would be used only as a last resort. I think there should be a small camera centered and mounded just under the front of the turret. The tank driver's helmet would connect to a slave system and display a hud screen kind of like the gunner on an Apache, where ever he looks the camera looks. I think there should be a dashboard with a screen for a backup camera or an option to push a button and display the backup camera on the helmet hud or pull up a picture in picture screen and place it at the bottom corner of the hud display.

Additionally... All optics and viewports on tanks should be vulnerable to small arms fire IF YOU CAN HIT IT... If you're hiding in a building and a tank rolls up and stops in the street next to you without infantry support, you should be able to shoot out the optics and cameras, partially or completely blinding the tank if you can hit everything. Obviously 3rd person view would make this feature pretty much useless but I think it would still be neat if it was added. It's too bad the devs didn't think of this before they models were made. I would have given the gunner a periscope that was seperate from the optics view port, positioned near and looking straight down the bore, it would be receeded, making it much harder to destroy and requiring a nearly straight line shot to do so. This would give the gunner the ability to use his main gun and coaxial machine gun (Which all tanks should have!) if his optics were taken out. The draw backs would be that it would be normal view only, no zoom, no night vision, no thermal, and it would have a limited lateral view range. You could change views just like how you change view's between the red dot and the scope on the RCO.

Edited by Squirrel0311