Sign in to follow this  
dulix11

Scripts, briefings and some other things.

Hey guys, I've been making a series of mission in the editor which will all lead up to capture or killing Col. Aziz.

First mission: Is just to gather intel from civilians on the guy. I'm not too fussed about audio dialog, I don't plan on distributing it everyhere, so plain and simple text will do.

- Basically, I want to be able to walk around to each civilian and have an option to 'Talk to'. Then you'll be able to ask: 'have you seen this guy?' 'Do you know who this guy is?' etc etc etc and then once you've got some info, the mission ends.

Second mission: Is to have a drone fly over and investigate 3 different locations, again, how do I achieve the text?

Third mission: Is to be parachuted into an area, and investigate the 3 places for any evidence. I have most of this mission completed, but I wanted to know how I can actually pick up the evidence? I have put a script in the evidence's init. field, which only adds the option to 'Pick up evidence', it is not added to my inventory or anything; I am simply met with an error.

Final mission: Is the simplest, a raid on the Zargabad villa. Nothing needs to be fixed.

But also, can someone tell me, step by step, how to make the briefings before the mission?

Right now I have gone through > My Documents > ArmA II > missions > and taken my mission from there. I put that into a folder and created 3 text documents: briefing.sqf - briefing.html - init.sqf. They are all empty and have nothing written on them. I'm pretty sure what I've done is wrong, so can someone help me up here?

If you could post something like:

- Make the text document and name it '_____'.

- Inside that document write this: '___________'.

- Make this

- Do that...so on and so forth.

Or even easier, could someone post a link to a pre-made briefing template?

Thanks.

One needs at the very least to have present in the mission folder:

- mission.sqm

- init.sqf

- briefing.html

- briefing.sqf

The briefing.html contains just a bare skeleton. It defines the different types of mission endings. It is good practice to reserve end number 1 for a message denouncing the use of cheats, as it is the one automatically picked when the ENDMISSION cheat is used.

Example:

<html>

<head>

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=windows-1250">

<title>Debriefing</title>

</head>

<body bgcolor="#FFFFFF">

<! -----DEBRIEFING----->

<hr>

<br>

<h2><a name="Debriefing:End1">You are a cheater</a></h2>

<br>

<p>

Cheating is bad.

</p>

<br>

<br>

<hr>

<br>

<h2><a name="Debriefing:End2">Mission Accomplished</a></h2>

<br>

<p>

The enemy commanders have been eliminated.

</p>

<br>

<br>

<hr>

<br>

<h2><a name="Debriefing:End3">Mission Failed</a></h2>

<br>

<p>

Bravo team has been wiped out.

</p>

<br>

</body>

</html>

The real briefing that used to be in the html file is now contained in the briefing.sqf.

Example:

// tasks

task2 = player createSimpleTask ["Return to the boat"];

task2 setSimpleTaskDescription ["Return to the boat for extraction", "Return to the boat", "Return to the boat"];

task2 setSimpleTaskDestination markerpos "obj2";

task1 = player createSimpleTask ["Eliminate the commanders"];

task1 setSimpleTaskDescription ["Eliminate the insurgent commanders", "Eliminate the commanders", "Eliminate the commanders"];

task1 setSimpleTaskDestination markerpos "obj1";

player setCurrentTask task1;

// diary entries

player createDiaryRecord["Diary", ["Background",

"Signal intercepts have indicated that senior enemy commanders are conferring at <marker name=obj1'>Montignac</marker>. Removal of these individuals would greatly limit the command and control capability of the insurgent force. Without the direction provided by these former military officers, the insurgents lack the training and experience to respond effectively against the planned amphibious assault on Everon. Elimination of these high value targets would therefore significantly increase the chance of success of the landings and reduce the expected number of friendly casualties. Command has therefore decided to strike against this gathering of insurgent commanders.

<br/>

<br/>

An airstrike on this target of opportunity has been ruled out due to collateral damage concerns. The rules of engagement dictate against any action likely to result in heavy civilian casualties. For this reason an alternative option has been selected that decreases the risk to the civilian population. A team of special forces is to be inserted in order to locate and eliminate these enemy commanders at <marker name='obj1'>Montignac</marker>. Their task is to infiltrate covertly towards the target area before assaulting the building where the meeting is taking place. After the targets have been eliminated, the team is to fall back to the <marker name='obj2'>insertion point</marker> for exfiltration by boat.

]];

player createDiaryRecord["Diary", ["Enemy",

"The insurgent movement on Everon disposes of a number of full time fighters with generally low levels of military training. These forces can be supplemented by armed civilians sympathetic to their cause. As the latter do not wear uniform and cannot be easily distinguished from the non combattant general population, it is best to avoid all contact with indigenous civlians.

<br/>

<br/>

Although the insurgents are primarily a light infantry force equipped with small arms and light support weapons, they also have some light vehicles mounting crew served weapons at their disposal. Night vision devices are in short supply amongst the insurgents, but even this limited capability means infrared light discipline must be strictly adhered to in order to avoid premature detection.

<br/>

<br/>

The majority of insurgent fighters are deployed in villages and hamlets, a limited number of men is employed <marker name=patrols'>patrolling</marker> the woods and fields between settlements. Such patrols may be reinforced by reaction forces on guard duty in the villages.]];

player createDiaryRecord["Diary", ["Mission",

"Bravo team will eliminate insurgent leaders present at Montignac."]];

This briefing is kicked off by the init.sqf and/or initjipcompatible.sqf.

Example:

execVM "briefing.sqf";

One of the common problems with a briefing not showing up is due to mistakes made in the briefing.sqf. For example one may have put in a " where a ' is required in the marker names.

Regards,

Sander