Sign in to follow this  
Maverickfftytwo

Running into errors with my mission

So I just got Arma3 a couple weeks ago and I'm trying to make my first "real" mission. I used to play OFP and the first arma so I understood the basics of the editor like placing units/groups/waypoints so I was able to make some very very simple missions just for fun, but this one I want to actually be more functional and be able to publish and let other people enjoy. Link for the mission in a "beta" state is in the next post, can't link anything in my first post :o

The problems right now are...

1. My second task won't complete when you do what you're supposed to do. The task is to blow up two empty trucks. I have a trigger to detect when they blow up and i can tell the trigger is working correctly since it will send a hint when the trucks blow up. However, with the trigger synchronized to the task module, the module doesn't complete. The task module WAS working when I had the trigger simply set to detect when OPFOR were not present, but that was just as a test to see if I had made them right. Tested with a friend, appears to be working now.

2. I'm getting a few errors when I load up the mission. This seems to have only happened after I started adding in the Sites - Random Patrol modules. I also added some code to the init.sqf, for having markers follow the players squad (blufor tracking) and having the respawn_west marker follow the group leader, at the same time as I added the random patrols. I'm not positive either of those have anything to do with it, but it's just what I remember having changed between when the problem wasn't present, and when it was. Here are the two images. Next post, can't post images either... :o

3. I'm using the BTC Revive/Respawn script, but it seems like it is only working for me when I host the map and invite a friend or two to test with me. I'm thinking this might be because i'm hosting it on my PC versus a dedicated server? The problem I noticed is that other players, or AI units, don't have a respawn delay(have it set at 60s inside the BTC script, 1s in the description.ext) but I do. I think I can work around this by just setting the respawn delay in the description.ext to 60s and 1s in the BTC script. It doesn't matter to me what causes the 60s delay, as long as there is a delay. It seems like I do have the spawn on team leader thing working, i have the respawn_west marker following the groups leaders with setmarkerpos and getpos. The main reason I wanted to use the BTC revive/respawn script was because a) the revive/drag/carry options are pretty cool for people who want to play like that and b) I wanted people to respawn with the gear I've given them (in the units init) or with gear they've swapped to. - - - This one is somewhat "fixed". I swapped respawn delay timers and I got the desired result. The only issue I ran into was that when I (team leader) died, I spawned at the original placement of the "respawn_west" marker, not the last position I was at. I thought that with the setmarkerpos and getpos commands in the init.sqf for the "respawn_west" marker it would be at the last location when the team leader died. The only other odd issue was my friend respawned at the mission start location when he spawned while I was dead. After that his gear changed back to the original loadout as well.

4. The briefing was only being displayed for me, not for my friend who was testing with me. I was squad leader, he was a squad member. I didn't attempt to diagnose that at the time, I don't know if it would have been visible to him had he been the squad leader. I may have fixed this already, I changed the breifing module from "groups of synchronized objects" to "all playable units". Was able to test with a friend, this appears to be working now.

5. This isn't really a problem but I'm considering making the Radio Alpha trigger only available when the team is at the LZ, and possibly only to the team leader. I'd like some feedback on this. The reasoning is accidental activation/jerk team mates. It seems like this might be a problem if less than 8 players play, and none of them choose the Team Leader position.

---------- Post added at 21:14 ---------- Previous post was at 21:12 ----------

Here are the two pics:

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Mav52/media/error1_zps5d44162a.jpg.html

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Mav52/media/error2_zps87a9ea55.jpg.html

Here is the link to the mission if you'd like to download it and either diagnose it, or try it out and suggest any changes. Updated mission file with fixes.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8k394QR8ssETGNPTU9lVVluMk0/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks for any help!!! I'm really excited to finish this up and see what people think!

Edited by Maverickfftytwo