Sign in to follow this  
Furret

Improvement carry-over

Based on this day-z video

Will ArmA3 see any of the code/engine improvements seen in day-z?

Most specifically the OO-style inventory and the network 'bubble' improvements?

I'll just say right now that the network bubble thing isn't coming to Arma 3 on account of it being part of the client/server architecture change in DayZ standalone, which was specifically and explicitly ruled out for Arma 3.

Disappointing.

edit:

The bubble problem is a core issue with multiplayer. It's not feasible to go above 30 players in multiplayer without huge effort on the mission builders part to reduce script calls etc. It means the scope of missions possible is severely limited.

Why have such a large area to play in when such a small number of individuals can play at the same time. Very frustrating.

edit2: it would alleviate issues like this: http://sacriel.tv/forums/index.php?/topic/541-arma-3-altis-preperation/page-2#entry7307

Edited by Furret

Well there is nobody like Dean Hall on the Arma team. They obviously prefer to keep building on a flawed base, rather than make the necessary tough decisions and sort out the fundamentals.

Such change would completely alienate the multiplayer structure that makes this possible. It wouldn't be Arma anymore. Additionally, such fundamental changes are highly unlikely when the complete game with all its functionality is already based on a different system, unlike DayZ.

I think however that certain improvements, if usable, will be shared across the project :) This has also been stated to me by Matt (DayZ production assistant)

I think however that certain improvements, if usable, will be shared across the project :) This has also been stated to me by Matt (DayZ production assistant)

Glad to hear there's communication between the teams and the possibility of sharing code.

I'm interested to understand why you believe modding sites like armaholic wouldn't be possible with improvements to the multiplayers reliance on sending updates occurring around the player, even unrelated to them, to every player. I'm a little puzzled. Surely a more client-server styled architecture would benefit the game and modding in general?

Edited by Furret

I was linking Armaholic as a plethora of modding itself. Many of the modifications that are working in multiplayer are relying on the current concept of sharing data on every client and the server. Regardless of possible optimization overhauls (sending unnecessary data), it is highly unlikely that the structure as a whole will be changed.

Though never say never with masters like Ondrej :icon_twisted:

PP don't spread wrong tales. Of course proper client-network design could be used for arma and same or even better modding and mp play would be possible.

However obviously the highly WIP and unfinished system wont make an appearance to arma any time soon.