Sign in to follow this  
Archosaurus

Real Virtuality Performance

I'm going to keep it short:

When will BI ditch this engine to develop their own engine from the ground up and make it actually run on most setups OR when will they attempt to optimize the engine and make it run on most setups like every other decent game out there?

My Arma history is very frustrating, and I see it happening to other people too. I have a decent setup of i5 650, MSi GTX 670 PE and 8Gb DDR3 RAM but I cannot for the life of me get an Arma game, including Arma 1 and 2, to run at more than 40 FPS constant in normal conditions with more than a single AI. Low graphics on everything, all features I can disable are disabled and VD on 1.5km. Setting VD to 500 makes the game completely unplayable of course and only finally bumps my FPS to 60 constant with no AI in the editor.

Along with that, I always, always have had LOD switching, visual bugs and overall ugly visuals.

Every other game runs fine on at least lowest settings 1920x1080, and my game looks just like everyone else's game looks. Not with Arma. Even DCS runs better than Arma, and that is quite alarming.

When will BIS actually do something about their horrendous, late 90's engine to make it to work on decent hardware?

Hell, I've seen people with i7's, 680's and 16- 32GB of RAM who can't run Arma 3 at 60FPS lowest settings.

I have tried everything and apart from loading a very undetailed, well optimized, small map with no AI, can I actually look in one direction rapidly without my frames dropping from 40 to 30 for a second. Yes I have tried Nvidia panel, yes I have experimented with drivers, yes I have extensively experimented with every single graphical option, config option and profile option.

If anyone has any "magic tricks", then go ahead, I'm losing hope in Arma as I cannot play it anymore, and never have been able to.

Edited by Archosaurus
560 to 650, typo.

Something wrong with you machine buddy, I have just about the same specs as you and I run the game fine on high / very high settings.

And Arma 1 you say? You cant run that on the lowest settings, definitely something wrong with your machine then. Let us know how you get on.

Something wrong with you machine buddy, I have just about the same specs as you and I run the game fine on high / very high settings.

And Arma 1 you say? You cant run that on the lowest settings, definitely something wrong with your machine then. Let us know how you get on.

May I know your specs, and perhaps have your config and profile file so I can try them out directly ingame?

Would you mind telling me your exact ingame settings and config settings if you can't do the above?

I'll take some screenshots buddy and post them soon.

Alright, thanks.

Be sure to also show me your Arma3.cfg and -yourname-.Arma3Profile files.

Ideally just upload them to Mediafire or something so I can throw them in directly and test.

- Pictures removed in quote -

The images are from a mission I am making btw.

Hmm, thanks, but no luck.

15 FPS with about 5 squads moving around near the town west of the Airfield on Altis.

I literally dumped your files in place of mine, unblocked them and put them to read only so they are not changed at all, went ingame and posted results. Did not modify files at all.

Very strange...

I don't know what else to suggest then mate, not trying to be funny or anything but I was having this problem before. I couldn't understand why I was getting shit fps until I took it to a repairman. It turns out that my heatsink had come loose and it was "shorting" out the cpu. Apart from that mate, I am at a loss. Anyone else with any ideas?

Why ditch the Virtual reality engine? It can do things no other engine can as far as I know and likely the reason there are no games similar to Arma at the moment.

I'm going to keep it short:

When will BI ditch this engine to develop their own engine from the ground up and make it actually run on most setups OR when will they attempt to optimize the engine and make it run on most setups like every other decent game out there?

Real Virtuality ís their own engine. BI developed it themselves.

I don't know what else to suggest then mate, not trying to be funny or anything but I was having this problem before. I couldn't understand why I was getting shit fps until I took it to a repairman. It turns out that my heatsink had come loose and it was "shorting" out the cpu. Apart from that mate, I am at a loss. Anyone else with any ideas?

My CPU is fairly old actually, over two years at least, so it might be a problem with that.

But, I have always been getting low frames on Arma, and even with a far, far worse GPU I could run most other games fairly well.

I can easily remember Arma 2 not running well, Arma 2 OA not running well, Arma 2 CO with all DLC not running well after 1.60 patch etc.

Only BI game that runs acceptably is OFP:CWC. :rolleyes:

If no one else has any magical fixes, I guess Arma just hates my guts.

Real Virtuality ís their own engine. BI developed it themselves.

Actually, the RV engine is an engine that BI had acquired from another party, and then modified it over the years to their needs.

It IS "their engine" as of right now it is hugely improved over the original, and the designers of the original have long ago disappeared.

But I think that Arma needs a new engine in the long run. We still have some fundamental problems that will never go away with this engine.

Why ditch the Virtual reality engine? It can do things no other engine can as far as I know and likely the reason there are no games similar to Arma at the moment.

Look above.

5 years from now, we will still have the old problems, even when Arma 4 or 5 or whatever is out.

Edited by Archosaurus

My CPU is fairly old actually, over two years at least, so it might be a problem with that.

But, I have always been getting low frames on Arma, and even with a far, far worse GPU I could run most other games fairly well.

I can easily remember Arma 2 not running well, Arma 2 OA not running well, Arma 2 CO with all DLC not running well after 1.60 patch etc.

Only BI game that runs acceptably is OFP:CWC. :rolleyes:

If no one else has any magical fixes, I guess Arma just hates my guts.

Actually, the RV engine is an engine that BI had acquired from another party, and then modified it over the years to their needs.

It IS "their engine" as of right now it is hugely improved over the original, and the designers of the original have long ago disappeared.

But I think that Arma needs a new engine in the long run. We still have some fundamental problems that will never go away with this engine.

Look above.

5 years from now, we will still have the old problems, even when Arma 4 or 5 or whatever is out.

Why completely ditch the engine and not just modify it? Look at engines like frosbite or cry engine. They don't make a new engine, they upgrade it. The Virtual reality engine has to deal with more issues than most engines and other issues that no other engine deals with.

Arma 3 is using the Virtual Reality engine in its fourth alliteration.

That's news to me, any source to backup your claim?

Actually, the RV engine is an engine that BI had acquired from another party.

The Real Virtuality (game engine) is developed by only one party (bohemia interactive) and was originally called Poseidon it was first used for Operation Flashpoint cold war crisis as well known by us all, however I wonder were you got the id that the engine was build by another party, I can not find any indications which refers to this at all?

Real Virtuality 1

1: Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis (PC): 1.00 - 1.46

2: Operation Flashpoint: Resistance (PC): 1.75 - 1.96

3: ARMA: Cold War Assault (re-release of Cold War Crisis and Resistance)

4: VBS1 (PC): 1.75 - 1.99

Real Virtuality 2

1: Operation Flashpoint: Elite (Xbox): 2.85

2: ArmA: Armed Assault / ArmA: Combat Operations (PC): 5089 - 5151 - 5163

3: VBS2 (PC): 1.0 - 1.6

Real Virtuality 3

1: ARMA 2 (PC)

2: ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead (PC)

3: Take On Helicopters (PC)

4: Iron Front: Liberation 1944 (PC)

5: VBS2 v2.0

6: DayZ Standalone (PC, 2013) Modified Engine

Real Virtuality 4

1: ARMA 3 (PC, expected release September 2013, Beta began 6/25/2013, Alpha began 3/5/2013) - Currently in Beta version 0.74

2: upcoming VBS3 ????

best of regards...

I thought RV engine came from Poseidon, which was built by BIS.

Ninja :p

Edited by LiquitHQ

I do not have direct sources as I don't feel like digging up old, old posts that I might never find, but now its going off topic:

As we all know that BI can't just magically make another engine as good as the RV engine, that actually works without any design/performance limitations, we will have to stick to making this one work better.

30fps is fine. Don't be a princess.

'Most decent games' don't have massive worlds with hundreds of players and detailed AI. This game is for high end hardware.

But I still run it on the cheapest gaming laptop out there.

You people need to stop fooling yourself that you can build your own PC,s or else stop letting Best Buy's marketing rip you off.

I do not have direct sources as I don't feel like digging up old, old posts that I might never find, but now its going off topic.

this is not off topic as you urge bis to build another engine, so we refer towards you're question, you claim that the engine was acquired trough another party. I and I bet a lot of others would like you to elaborate on that claim. Maybe you know something we do not know?

besides that, you say you can't get higher performance, as well known arma games are pretty hard on processing everything how well is your pc cooled? I think my PC is lower optimized for performance then yours, however I also use a lot of cooling, I keep my pc clean on regular base, I have almost zero to no problems with the games of bis unless i forget to clean it out, with this I do not only mean to defrag a lot but actually dust it out on regular base ....

------------------

System Information

------------------

Time of this report: 8/29/2013, 21:04:21

Machine name: KEVIN-PC

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.130104-1431)

Language: Dutch (Regional Setting: Dutch)

System Manufacturer: INTEL_

System Model: DH77KC__

BIOS: Default System BIOS

Processor: Intel® Core i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.2GHz

Memory: 8192MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 8158MB RAM

Page File: 3280MB used, 13033MB available

Windows Dir: C:\Windows

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

User DPI Setting: Using System DPI

System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)

DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled

DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

separated from that I have 2 front coolers 2 side coolers one rear and one top cooling and on extra on my cpu witch partly covers my main panel ....

best of regards

Edited by LiquitHQ
gramma

this is not off topic as you urge bis to build another engine, so we refer towards you're question, you claim that the engine was acquired trough another party. I and I bet a lot of others would like you to elaborate on that claim. Maybe you know something we do not know?

best of regards

Absolutely, we give you an answer and you just say it's OT :icon_ohmygod:

best of regards

You're going offtopic, read the big sentence after "OR" that I put.

I will not provide source as I cannot realistically find it right now. Best bet would be to ask Marek Spanel, right now.

For the rest of you, please stop going off topic. I never asked who designed the engine, I don't actually know it myself as it has never been mentioned, BUT BI has many times said that the original coders have disappeared and so on.

Ask them if you want it so bad, I don't work there.

OT: Cleaning my case has never helped raise the FPS magically, and I make sure that my fans and so on are running without any dust and whatnot in them.

CPU running at 50c when not being intensively used and about 55 to 60 when being used ingame, sometimes varies but that's the general count. I doubt its due to freezing or overheating as other games run just fine, I repeat, ONLY ARMA HAS THESE PROBLEMS.

Edited by Archosaurus

Absolutely, we give you an answer and you just say it's OT :icon_ohmygod:

I dint say that the one bellow me said that :p rofl

I dint say that the one bellow me said that :p rofl

Yep i know, i shouldn't have quoted you:)

Yes, yes, whatever.

Now, does anyone have any more suggestions on how to possibly fix my horrible performance?

Minimum I'd need at least stable 50FPS which I can expect from a game like this running on the possible lowest settings on this hardware.